What Size Tins Do I Need For A 3 Tiered Cake?

Decorating By zespri Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 1:59am by zespri

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:25am
post #1 of 4

hiya

I'm still in the stages of setting up my 'kit', and so far have a 6.5" tin, and an 8" tin, both round. Yes, the 6.5" is a werid size I know! It's not very good quality, so I don't mind getting a new one in 6".

I am wondering what size tins I would need to make something like this:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1823651
Isn't it gorgeous! There seems to be a good amount of space on each level for placing little figures etc. Would the top tier be as small as 2", or bigger? If it was, would the next two levels be 6" and 10"? Or not as much difference between them?

Also, is it crucial to put boards between tiers, or is that only for not-so-dense cakes? What about dowels, are they used for tiered cakes?

Thank you for any advice, thus far I've only ever made single layers, so am excited to make multi layers!

3 replies
Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:11am
post #2 of 4

My guess the top would be 4" then 7" then 10". You do need to place a board under each layer, not just for support but ease of handling. You would need to dowel the bottom tier, 4 or 5 wooden dowels (approx 1 every 2 1/2 inches). Make sure the dowels are all the same height. You could probably get away without putting supports under the 4" if the cake is something dense like a mud, anything lighter I would dowel just to be sure.

Good luck!

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:10am
post #3 of 4

I would say that cake was a 6", 10" and 14". I usually do a 4" diference in size for each tier. And you definately want to use a plate or board and supports under each tier. Even a 2 layered 6" cake will have quite a bit of weight to it.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:59am
post #4 of 4

gosh, that'd make a lot of cake... how do you make sure they're all the same height? What's the standard height anyway?

I guess 3-4" would be the only way to go if you want a ledge to place things on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%