Buttercream Question

Decorating By BlessP Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 7:07am by BlessP

BlessP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlessP Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:19am
post #1 of 5

How do you make your buttercream hardened like that in amazing wedding cakes? I saw that when they take the cake out of the fridge their buttercream is really hard that their hand print won't even dent it. Did they freeze the iced cakes before covering it with fondant?

I have tried using crusting buttercream and non-crusting buttercream. Both of them I always put them in the fridge for a few hours righta fter frosting but it's not as hard as what I saw on TV though.

Then some of them will also place the fondant covered cake in the refrigerator. What temperature do they use for the refrigerator that there is no condensation on the cake after?

I will really appreciate your opinions on this. Thanks

4 replies
juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 5

To get the buttercream rock hard in the refrigerator as you are describing, you will need an all butter based buttercream. it might be SMBC, IMBC or even an American buttercream made with all butter instead of shortening. HTH.

BlessP Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 4:46am
post #3 of 5

hmm, I see

I just use halfbutter and half crisco. I didn't like the taste of all butter icon_sad.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 5:34am
post #4 of 5

I use half butter and half crisco and when its chilled properly it will not dent until it comes to room temo or close to that....and I chill it over night when possible before putting fondant on....refigerate after that...it will condensate a bit, but then it dries and is fine

BlessP Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:07am
post #5 of 5

I will try chilling it overnight and see what happens. Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%