Shimmer Powder Short-Cut!!

Decorating By amberele Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 5:23am by starra328

amberele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberele Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:10am
post #1 of 3

So I'm not sure if this has been posted, but I was so excited about it that I thought it could use a bump if it has been...!

I am making a bunch of flowers for my sister's wedding this weekend, and I was looking for a way to get shimmer powder on all of them quickly. I had been doing my girls' hair earlier and the cheap dollar store spray bottle of water was still sitting out. TADA!! I thought it couldn't hurt to try.

I stuck the vodka/shimmer powder mixture in the spray bottle (a little thinner than usual to try and not sabotage the mechanism). It worked. I got nice even coverage of shimmer on the flowers and the color of the shimmer showed up as well!

I'm not sure this would work for darker colors or thicker mixture yet, but let me know how it goes!

amberele

Follow up....
So I went to add my 3rd color to the spray bottle (gold), after using it for black and pink... It clogged up. I tried running water through it, but I think the larger chunks of shimmer got caught in the mechanism? So maybe it will work better if its well rinsed in between.

Either way, it was only $1, and made it easier for tonights shimmer application! (I used it to shimmer 18 freesias, 20 buds, and a handful of black wild roses... not bad for a cheapie!)

2 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:21am
post #2 of 3

great idea

starra328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starra328 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:23am
post #3 of 3

That's a great tip, i discovered if i use an oil mister w ith vodka and icing colors it's like a homemade air brush i used it on my mac and cheese cake in my pictures to give it a baked look, i never tried it with shimmer dust next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%