Who Knows How To Tie The Perfect Little Bow On Bags/cookies?

Baking By CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 6:41pm by rhondab

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:14am
post #1 of 12

Hi all.

How do you get those perfect little bows? Two perfect rounded bits and the tag bits sitting perfectly at the bottom?

I cant remember which one of you clever cookie artists has it nailed to a perfection, but I need help. My tag/hanging bits at the bottom are always twisted etc.

Anyone any tips? They are so tiny I think I must just be too much thumbs?

thanks

11 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:48am
post #2 of 12

Well, you want to start with a long ribbon. Make your bow, then snip off the excess ribbon.

I like to use a spring action hair clip (pin curl clip, for those of you over 40 icon_smile.gif ) to hold the bag closed while I'm tying. Sometimes I'll also trim the excess from the top of the bag.

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:45am
post #3 of 12

Thanks, what a dumb moment I was having !

I have no problem with pretty bows, but the little ones..... der, I can pull the ends and make it smaller.... and Now I wake up... betta have another coffee.

thanks again DianeLM

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:50am
post #4 of 12

Ooh! I like the pin curl clips idea.

I have to use a long piece of ribbon and then trim it. I gots big, clumsy, man hands. LOL

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:02am
post #6 of 12

To get a bow that is even and doesn't twist to the side you need to tie a square knot (right over left, then left over right), and leave the loop it makes in the center a little loose. Then you run the ends back through the middle loop and tighten it up. It always makes a perfect, straight bow.

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:56am
post #7 of 12

Thank You, Imagenthatnj you are always so good with supplying links to everyone, how do you do it? I did google, but did not come across either of these. thanks again.

Ruth0209 thank you also, that is something that I did not know.

Cheers
Leanne

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:16am
post #8 of 12

[quote="grozzie11"]Thank You, Imagenthatnj you are always so good with supplying links to everyone, how do you do it? I did google, but did not come across either of these. thanks again.

A lot of stuff I already have downloaded into my hard drive...information hoarder, lol.

Typed on google: how to make a tiny ribbon
and I got one of the articles.

Then I thought that Martha Stewart MUST have directions for this, so I typed: Martha Stewart how to make a bow.

Gotta love Google.

Maybe I should learn how to make a bow...I haven't tried it.

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 7:02am
post #9 of 12

you do that, I will practice getting what I want when I google! Not that you ever get the same thing twice when you do.

sounds like you are pretty organised. sure know I am not. My email and pc are allover the place ! Maybe thats a tutorial you can start icon_smile.gif
thanks

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:25am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

To get a bow that is even and doesn't twist to the side you need to tie a square knot (right over left, then left over right), and leave the loop it makes in the center a little loose. Then you run the ends back through the middle loop and tighten it up. It always makes a perfect, straight bow.

So this means my former boy scout husband is now obligated to tie bows for me, right? icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

So this means my former boy scout husband is now obligated to tie bows for me, right? icon_smile.gif

It's funny you'd say that because I learned how to do that by tying my little tie on my Junior Girl Scout uniform!

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 12

Explaining is harder than doing, but here goes . . . After the first over - and - through of a knot, make a loop the size you want for the bow on BOTH sides - you are now holding a loop in each hand. Now tie a regular knot, putting the loop in one hand around the loop in the other hand just as though the loop was a single piece of ribbon. That's it. With a little practice, the loops will be the same size, the streamers the same length, and those streamers will lie flat to each side. I learned this trick years ago when retying bows that were sewn in place on baby clothes and always came undone in the wash.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%