Coloring Ganache And Pouring Over Bc?

Decorating By ramie7224 Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 12:03am by yums

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 7

Is there any reason I shouldn't add black coloring to my ganache to make it darker? It won't change the consistency or anything will it? Also- If I chill a BC covered cake, can I pour warm ganache over it for a smooth and firm finish? I need to make a tuxedo cake for a friend and I am just NOT exceptional at smooth BC. I thought a poured ganache would be the way to go.

6 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 7

No these do not help. I am not interested in covering it in fondant at all and I don't need the proportions....I already know how to make ganache. I want to know if adding coloring will change the consistency of the ganache itself (make it clump up, seize, etc) and also whether or not I can pour ganache onto a cake already coated in buttercream and chilled? I don't want a thick ganache coating, just a thin, smooth, layer.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 7

I've seen the cakes covered in a glaze, like Rose Berenbaum does.

She has a video in Amazon. I got the book last year, but haven't had time to read it.

She calls it a lacquer glaze, and there's a video on this page:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0471781738/?tag=cakecentral-20

Hopefully someone else can help you a little more.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 7

I recently tried to colour white chocolate using paste colours. It completely altered the texture of the chocolate in a negative way. It went from runny to a completely clogged up sticky mess. This will probably be the same with ganache.

The thing to try is actual colouring for chocolate or powder colours.

Things like these (Not sure where they'd be available in the US)

http://www.squires-shop.com/ibf/index.php?p=product&id=689&parent=72

http://www.squires-shop.com/ibf/index.php?p=product&id=2757&parent=94

ramie7224 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:01am
post #6 of 7

That lacquer video is helpful....if she can pour that over a ganache frosting without melting it then I don't see why I couldnt' do it over buttercream. And actually, now that I've watched it I may just do a ganache frosting and then put a glaze over the top. I mean MAN that stuff is shiny!!! -Also thanks for the tip about the powdered color...I'll have to see if I can find some around here.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:03am
post #7 of 7

I don't know for sure but i have add paste colors to melt chocolate and didn't have a problem so I don't think it should effect ganache either. I also wanted to mention that wilton carries black candy melts you could use instead of coloring it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%