Help Pricing Dummy Cakes

Decorating By lsmithctr Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 10:00pm by tootie0809

lsmithctr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsmithctr Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 8

I have tried to find an answer to this question and I can't find it. I am doing a wedding cake in a few weeks and the client wants a dummy cake for the bottom 2 layers and then a cutting cake for the top layer. It should be a very easy cake(assuming that the fondant goes on the cakes easily), with just some ribbon on the bottom and different sized fondant spots on the cakes. They are friends of mine and I don't do this regularily, so it won't be a $300 cake, but I do want to be fair with my pricing, for both of us. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

7 replies
awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 8

I am sure that there will be a million different ideas of what to charge. You still have to decorate the cake, which is the difficult part and where the majority of the cost is. I would say add up the cost of the two tiers and then subtract 15-20%.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:19am
post #3 of 8

For dummy tiers, I charge 60% of what that tier would cost in real cake. A lot of people price it differently, but this is how it works for me.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:41am
post #4 of 8

Many people charge 80% the cost of a real cake because dummies can be nearly as costly, especially if you have to have them shipped to you, and the amount of material and time to decorate them is the same.

HTH
Rae

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:49am
post #5 of 8

Yep. 80% of the real cake price is pretty much standard.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:10am
post #6 of 8

I price my dummies at 80% of the cost of that same design in actual cake.

lsmithctr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsmithctr Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you everyone. That helps a ton! I really appreciate your quick responses. I will price accordingly.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 8

Hmmm, maybe I need to up my prices! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%