Is This Stupid? Not Quite Sure How To Handle

Business By karateka Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 2:00am by denetteb

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 17

I have a lady who wants a tasting for her June 11, 2011 wedding.

We are currently planning a cruise for May somethingorother through the 8th of June.

Is it sheer stupidity to accept this tasting? If she books and anything goes wrong with our flight back, then both of us are screwed.

The cruise is in the Mediterranean, so after getting back late Wed night, I'd have to be up and functioning the next day to make this work. Not sure if I should tell her I'm booked?

What would you more experienced folks do?

16 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 17

It is up to you.... if you feel you need to take the order for one reason or other.... then you can make it work... maybe you can freeze the layers before you leave so all you have to do is thaw and decorate.

On the other hand, if you don't really feel you need to accept the order...then I would just clear your schedule so you aren't worried about cake when you're supposed to be relaxing.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 17

I would tell her you're booked.

Even if you bake and freeze the layers ahead of time let's face it, the whole time you are on the cruise all you're going to be thinking about is the cake and worrying that something might go wrong and you won't make it back in time to do the cake.

Taleryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taleryn Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 17

Don't take the booking.
You're spending a lot of money on this vacation, so don't spoil it by having to worry about getting home on time and all the work you need to do on the cake. Designs & stuff will be fluttering through your head the entire trip - if your anything like me.
Enjoy your vacation. AND incase something spontaneous comes up that causes you to want to stay in the Med for a few extra days, you can. icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I would tell her you're booked.

Even if you bake and freeze the layers ahead of time let's face it, the whole time you are on the cruise all you're going to be thinking about is the cake and worrying that something might go wrong and you won't make it back in time to do the cake.

I agree!!

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 17

I always feel like I need a vacation after my vacation! I wouldn't want to have to do a birthday cake, let alone a wedding cake right after coming home. No need to subject yourself to that stress...

Cake_Karen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Karen Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 17

For the amount of money you will make its not worth the stress. I have done this myself and regreted it everytime.
Not worth the hassle cause it is you that will be up till all hours.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 17

enjoy the vacation .... pass on the cake.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:40am
post #9 of 17

Thanks, everyone!! I had a feeling that would be the right thing....but didn't want to be a bad businesswoman.

DH is wondering if we should cancel since I'll miss 2 weekends in June. But that would defeat the whole point of going this year (one last hurrah with our teens while they still want to be around us...and they've not been to Europe)

Thanks again!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:34am
post #10 of 17

I am just a hobby baker but don't understand why you would say you are booked, why not say the truth that you will be out on vacation and won't be back in time to prepare for a wedding cake that weekend?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:51am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb

I am just a hobby baker but don't understand why you would say you are booked, why not say the truth that you will be out on vacation and won't be back in time to prepare for a wedding cake that weekend?

True. Or you can just say you're not available. It's not like they need to know the details of your personal life. When I want a weekend off, I just tell them I'm not available for a cake for that weekend. It's not unprofessional. Even business owners are allowed to go on vacation.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:57am
post #12 of 17

And remember- many things can arise that prevent you from getting back when you think you will, especially when traveling that far. As you said, it's one last hurrah with your kids- give them all your attention and have a real blast!

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:23am
post #13 of 17

After arriving home at 4 am from my cruise last week, I can tell you I was in no condition to decorate a cake. Even if you made it back in time that's no guarantee you will physically feel up to making a cake even days later. Especially if you have to change time zones.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:31am
post #14 of 17

Booked means you have accepted all of the orders you can accept for that day. That number can be from 0 to whatever. I agree that clients do not need too know our personal life. If I am taking off one day, then that day is booked.

cakesbycathy Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:01pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb

I wouldn't be advertising to strangers the fact that I am going to be out of town. That's a safety issue. Who knows who she'll mention it to. You could come home and discover your tv missing. icon_wink.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:21pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

Thanks, everyone!! I had a feeling that would be the right thing....but didn't want to be a bad businesswoman.

DH is wondering if we should cancel since I'll miss 2 weekends in June. But that would defeat the whole point of going this year (one last hurrah with our teens while they still want to be around us...and they've not been to Europe)

Thanks again!

DON'T CANCEL!!!
You can always get a cake order. You will never be able to get the time back with your family.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 2:00am
post #17 of 17

Excellent point about not advertising that you will be away from home for security sake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%