Oh No! Dont Have Enough Fondant!

Decorating By jagvipers Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 6:07pm by jagvipers

jagvipers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jagvipers Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 19

I'm freaking out. I was going to attempt my first topsy cake for a party Friday (today is Wednesday). I filled hte cakes today and put in teh freezer. I was going to decorate Friday, and was just wondering how to know how big of a circle to roll out to cover the 2 tiers and I dont think I have enough fondant! I have 4 pounds that I just ordered and received. There is no store that has this fondant, they only carry the Wilton. What to do, what to do??? I suppose I could just make homemade chocolate fondant??? But the one I bought tastes sooo good - it smells and tastes like a tootsie roll! What to do?????

18 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 19

Well, first, calm down and check the chart to see how much you actually need.

http://www.satinfinefoods.com/product.htm

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 19

What sizes are your cakes?

jagvipers Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 19

bottom tier is 3 layers, 8 inches round; top is 3 layers 6 inches round. About 8 inches high - each tier.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 19

It's gonna be close. Those are crazy tall cakes. That tall and Topsy Turvey? You're braver than me!

jagvipers Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 19

I've always been the kind to go for it, not in baby steps! When I learned how to quilt, I didn't start small, I made a REAL quilt - against my older sister's instructions, but did it! One year I ran my first 5K and that wasn't enough, but instead of the next year doing a 10K, I did a half marathon instead! icon_smile.gif Hmmmmm. Maybe I should take that top layer off? Or when I cut the cakes to the topsy turvy shape, take a little more off than 'normal.' YIKES!

jagvipers Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 19

Okay, now I'm second guessing myself. When someone says their topsy turvy has 4 layers on the bottom tier and 3 layers on the top tier; does that mean like one cake is cut in half and filled and that would be considered TWO layers? I did think it was awefully tall! I might have to revamp things!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 19

You can mix the Wilton with the fondant you ordered...or make MMF to mix with the fondant you ordered.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Well, first, calm down and check the chart to see how much you actually need.

http://www.satinfinefoods.com/product.htm

Thanks Leah for posting this! I have always referred to the Wilton chart and it always seemed to be way more fondant than I actually need! The Satin Ice chart makes so much more sense! (I wonder if it's a marketing strategy by Wilton? icon_rolleyes.gif )

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 19

You can make homemade fondant and mix it in. This is the recipe I use and the chocolate is really yummy, still tastes like a tootsie roll!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant
(The chocolate variation in down in the instructions area)

I would recommend mixing it in with the store-bought fondant, though, to keep the taste consistent.

jagvipers Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 19

Thank you all! Now - how about my confusion on 'layers'?

jagvipers Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 19

Springflower - I'm going to try that fondant recipe! Thank you! I think I'll mix it with what I have, just to be certain I have enough. I dont have any glycerin - do you think it will be okay since i'm going to mix it with my other fondant? I always see glycerin at the store when I'm there getting supplies, but have never bought it even though I see it listed on recipes I have yet to try - next time I'll have to pick it up!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:54pm
post #13 of 19

In my mind a tier is a cake that either has two layers, each 2" tall with a filling inbetween or 4 layers, ea 1" tall and 3 layers of filling. This makes a standard cake 4-4.5" tall . It sounds as if you are place two cakes (4"+4") to make each tier. That is awfully tall.

If I make a TT I make sure my cakes are about 5.5" and then slope it so one side is 4" and the other 5-5.5" (depending on how well I can cut icon_smile.gif ) I still have 2 or 4 layers, they are just a bit higer than a standard cake.

Hope this makes sense!

Cakechick123 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 19

oops sorry dupl post

Cakechick123 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:55pm
post #15 of 19

duplicate post!!

jagvipers Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:58pm
post #16 of 19

Cakechick - thank you, that makes sense, and I just went and FIXED them! Cut each in half and flipped them. Now it doesn't look too tall and I'll probably have enough fondant, AND I'll have enough for another cake!

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 10:30pm
post #17 of 19

4 pounds should be plenty. The topsy-turvy in my pics was done with four pounds (covered and decorated) and I still had some left over. It was also a 8" and 6" both 3 layers high.

jagvipers Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 2:37am
post #18 of 19

I had enough! I think it turned out pretty good! Pictures soon.

jagvipers Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:07pm
post #19 of 19

Turned out okay I think! I'm just not sure how to go about cutting the cake tomorrow though! Start at top tier or bottom!?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%