Coloring Fondant Black

Baking By RanaPeach Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 3:14am by madgeowens

RanaPeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RanaPeach Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 10

I am looking for the best way to color my marshmallow fondant black. The cake i am making does not have a lot of the black on it, just some circles. I thought of coloring it with paste color and them to ensure it doesn't fade, spray it with the wilton spray color. But if anyone has a better/ less expensive way please share.

9 replies
Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 10

Make chocolate Mmf with cocoa powder or melted chocolate, them add black so you don't have to add much.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 10

Yes. Definitely go with the chocolate fondant.......it tastes so much better. You can make it pretty dark if you use Hershey's special dark cocoa and add your black color while the MM are melted. (then add the conf. sugar)

RanaPeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RanaPeach Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 10

I might do the chocolate fondant, but i have already made my mmf and would like to avoid having to make another batch.

Jengo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jengo Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 10

Can anyone tell me how to make chocolate fondant? Gonna make some fondant tomorrow so I can experiement with designs and such. TIA.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaPeach

I might do the chocolate fondant, but i have already made my mmf and would like to avoid having to make another batch.

you will use a ton of black to turn white fondant black, and it's going to taste horrible...And all that color tend to break down the mmf. You will save yourself a major headache by just taking the few minutes and few dollars to make more, rather than trying to make it and then having to remake it anyway.

Regarding chocolate fondant, just sub some cocoa powder for Ps, or just add a couple of ounces tof melted chocolate to the marshmallow mixture.

snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:32am
post #7 of 10

This is the recipe I found on CC: I used this recipe and added black color and used it in my black, white, and pink zebra baby cake in my photos. Turn out great!

16 oz mini marshmallows
7-7.5 cups sifted powdered sugar ( a full 2 lb bag is about 8 cups)
2 TBSP corn syrup
1 TBSP vanilla extract
4 TBSP water
3/4 cup cocoa powder
shortening to grease your bowls, works surface etc.

DIRECTIONS

- Put 16 oz of mini marshmallows into a greased bowl. Add 4 TBSP water and 1 TBSP vanilla, then microwave slowly until marshmallows are completely melted. (I usually do 1 min 30secs)
- Transfer melted marshmallows to your KA bowl, add 2 TBSP corn syrup and 3/4 cup cocoa powder. Using dough hook, incorporate until roughly mixed.
- Add sifted powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, and knead well each time, scraping the bowl between sugar additions.
- After 5 cups have been added, add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Knead well, and scrape bowl between additions.
- After 6 cups have been added, add the powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time until the fondant is of the correct consistency. I test it by pressing my finger into the fondant, and if my finger is dry and clean then I know the fondant is ready.

- After the last powdered sugar addition, turn the fondant out onto a shortening greased surface and knead. It will be very moist and pliable. Store double wrapped, in a ziploc bag and airtight container until ready to use.

Enjoy!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:41am
post #8 of 10

I use black cocoa powder and it works like you would not believe, and you dont need much black coloring added to it

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:06am
post #9 of 10

where would one find this black cocoa? I have not heard of that.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:14am
post #10 of 10

I get it at my little country store....some place like that....its only place I found it myself

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%