Is This Enough Cake?

Decorating By onemissa Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 2:06am by indydebi

onemissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onemissa Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,
So I'm making a cake to feed 30 people, but I'm not sure if it's going to be enough cake. The design is going to be a 9x13x2 with a 6x2 on the top. Any help would be really appreciated. TIA!

3 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 4

Here is a link to the Wilton website to show you the number of servings per pan. Keep in mind tha the portions are 1.5" x 2"

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Hope this helps!

onemissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onemissa Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:34am
post #3 of 4

I've looked over the Wilton serving chart, but I have also seen other serving charts and they are all different. I would really appreciate opinions.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 2:06am
post #4 of 4

The nice thing about a square or rectangle cake is you can easily do the math to determine how many servings, based on how big you're going to cut them.

Standard serving size on a single layer (2" high) cake is 2x2x2 (8 cubic inches). So a 9x13 (and to make the numbers even, I round down to the nearest even number, so I'm working with 8x12), the cake would be cut in 4 rows by 6 columns = 24 servings.

A 6", two-layer round, serves 12, according to the Wilton wedding chart, which is a 1x2x4" piece (8 cubic inches).

24 + 6 = 30 servings.

to me, that's a little tight. If I were having a party for 30 and the cake was designed to serve exactly 30, I'd get a bigger cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%