Chocolate Fudge Icing

Baking By CakeGalUK Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 3:30pm by dawncr

CakeGalUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGalUK Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:07am
post #1 of 11

I am trying to find a recipe for this, but none that I've tried or read are what I'm after!!

A lot of them are more ganache based so really smooth and silky.

I have something specific in mind as in the way I think it should look/taste/texture/etc

What I want is that the end result is actually like fudge - so dense and grainy if that makes sense? So as a filling you can get a good thick firm layer.

I guess the base would be similar to making actual fudge? But of course it wouldn't want to set as much as fudge that you would then cut into pieces, so how would I achieve this? Would it be to take a fudge recipe and not cook it as long/hot so it doesn't get to soft ball? Or would I need more liquid of some sort to keep it workable etc once it's cooled?

Does anyone have a recipe already?

10 replies
Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:47am
post #2 of 11

interesting idea.. i dont have a recipie.. if no one ended up finding one you might have to experiment a little with a fudge recipie as you said.. but that is all i can think of too.. let me know how it turns out icon_smile.gif and good luck

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:08am
post #3 of 11

After reading what you were looking for this popped in my head. It is my very fav chocolate frosting. It is very rich and SO much like fudge! Take a look at see if you like it. It's from Cooks .com. I always double the recipe because the kids and I end up eating it before it gets on the cake.

CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING  

2 foil wrapped bars (4 oz.) Nestle unsweetened chocolate baking bars
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
3 1/2 c. (1 lb.) confectioners' sugar
1/2-2/3 c. milk

In small, heavy-gauge saucepan, combine Nestle unsweetened chocolate baking bars and butter. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until baking bars melt and mixture is smooth. Transfer to large mixer bowl; cool to room temperature. Add vanilla and salt. Beat in confectioners' sugar alternately with milk; beat until desired spreading consistency. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:22am
post #4 of 11

That recipe looks great! I'm going to have to try it myself!

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:27am
post #5 of 11

does this frosting crust? or is it basically for cupcakes and fillings? icon_smile.gif

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:34am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

does this frosting crust? or is it basically for cupcakes and fillings? icon_smile.gif

I have never used it for a smooth finish as I do with some of my other buttercreams so off hand I really don't remember how well it crusts. The things that stand out to me about this recipe is it is very rich, much like fudge, a must have for the chocolate lover, it is a tad thick and I usually end up adding more milk to it.

oh, and it is wonderful on cookies and ice cream too icon_lol.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 11

Your description sounds like a fudge-like frosting I made for brownies a few months ago. I thought it was a bit *too* grainy, sweet, and fudge-like, but my nephew loved it.

Can't remember where I found the recipe, so if it's yours, please let me know and I'll attribute:

Fudge-like Frosting for Brownies

6 Tbl milk
6 Tbl butter, softened
1+1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 tsp vanilla

Combine milk, butter, and sugar in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook at rolling boil for 30 seconds. Remove from heat, and stir in choc chips and vanilla. Pour immediately over brownies.

HTH icon_smile.gif

dawncr Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 11

Here's another, similar one that I haven't tried. From grainlady at gardenweb.com.

--------------
This recipe is similar to pump toad's. It's like adding a thick layer of fudge (not gooey frosting) to brownies.

-Grainlady

BROWNIE FUDGE FROSTING
(makes enough for a 9x13-inch pan of brownies)

1 c. sugar
5 T. butter
1/3 c. milk

Place ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil and boil for 1 full minute. Remove from heat.

Add:
6 oz. (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Stir until melted.

With an electric mixer:
Add 1 cup SIFTED powdered sugar. Blend until smooth. Immediately frost warm brownies.
-------------------------------------

CakeGalUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGalUK Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 11

Wow, thanks everyone! I will work my way through testing these out in the run up to Christmas, I should think at least one of them will get me close to what I'm after icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:05am
post #10 of 11

Look up Toba Garrets Chocolate butter cream recipe online. It's the best and it does crust.

dawncr Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 11

I think you'll also find several recipes of the type of chocolate frosting you're seeking if you do an internet search on:

"cooked fudge frosting"

I'd have posted them, but there are so many!

Let us know which one you decide upon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%