Coffee Creamer In Cupcakes

Baking By Tug Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 10:13am by Nusi

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 7

I know this has been talked about but now when I need the info, I can't find it in the search. I want to replace Hazelnut coffee creamer in the Duncan Hines cake mix. Do I simply replace exactly the amount of creamer for the water listed? I don't want the cupcakes to get too heavy and sink in the middle.

Thanks in advance.

6 replies
SugarMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoon Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 7

How much liquid does the mix call for? I think you need to leave about a third of the liquid as water or it will be too heavy.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 1:04am
post #3 of 7

i make a pumpkin spice cake with the liquid creamer during the holidays and i replace ALL of the water with the creamer. I have made cakes and cupcakes and have never had any issues with it sinking. I was using a DH white cake mix (not sure if other cake mixes would react differently)

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:20am
post #4 of 7

Since the cupcakes were for home consumption, I went ahead and replaced exactly what the box called for. In the case of my mix (all butter cake), I put in 2/3 cups hazelnut coffee creamer (along with one stick butter and 3 eggs!). The cupcakes did not sink, buit neither did they rise to get a dome that I ussually get. Instead, I got a fairly even flat top.

They taste good, but the consistencey was heavier....it became almost like a lighter version of a pound cake. You can't taste the hazelnut flavor, but it was still good.

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:03am
post #5 of 7

hey im curious... this is new to me.. can i use the powdered coffee creamer with water to make the cake/cupcake heavier.. how will it taste?

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 7

I also use the same about of coffee creamer (or half & half) as it calls for water and never had a problem.

I've never used the powdered, but don't see why it won't work. Give it a trial run and see.

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 10:13am
post #7 of 7

i just used the powdered creamer.. and to my surprise its amazing icon_smile.gif thanks for the tip.. the cake came out tastier and moist

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%