Securing Rkt Sculptures To Cake

Decorating By Vanessa7 Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 2:38am by Vanessa7

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 4

I have two upcoming cakes I need to create 3D RKT structures fir. This is the first time I'm doing it and am a little nervous but excited to expand my portfolio. I think I know how to create the structures, cover with BC and then layer with fondant. (Any additional hints would be awesome though! I'm making a haunted house and silo - not same cake though! icon_wink.gif ). However, I don't know how to secure the structures to my cake. One cake will be covered with fondant and the other one with BC. Any suggestions!

3 replies
kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 4

I am doing a cake this weekend with a rkt barn on top that I will be doing for the first time I was wondering the same thing. What I think is that depending on the final weight I might of the sculpture I will have to put a dowel/straw or two under it and then I was just planning on gluing it down with melted chocolate. I hope this sounds right I would love to hear what other people do!

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 4

I dowel underneath the RKT and then attach using 1 or 2 wooden skewers and a bit of melted chocolate.

You may want to try coating the RKT in melted chocolate instead of bc, it's easier and the chocolate smooths out any bumps and helps hold the shape.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:38am
post #4 of 4

Thank you cakeville82! I never thought about securing it to my cake using melted chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%