Wisconsin Home Bakeries?

Business By Penny7271 Updated 5 May 2011 , 6:13pm by Kakzter

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 9

Can someone tell me what the rules are for a licensed home bakery in Wisconsin?

Thank you!

8 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 9

I thought it was the same as Minnesota. The kitchen has to be a separate building from the house with all the necessary equipment.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=586218&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Check this thread. I would also just google it. You could at least find a phone number to call.

sarah5008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah5008 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:06am
post #3 of 9

Hi Penny! I live in WI and it depends on which county you live in. I had to contact the department of agriculture, not the health department to find out. I emailed them and they got me to the right person. In Dodge county (where I live) it has to be separate from your house, a rental kitchen or commercial kitchen. But check for your county, it may be different icon_smile.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 9

I'm in WI (Brown) and we have to have a separate kitchen, but it can be part of the dwelling. Its not only the health dept, but you also need to be concerned with zoning requirements. Not all residential areas allow home businesses, especially if there will be pickup traffic. I've known people who had the go-ahead from the health dept, but they weren't zoned correctly, so they were up a creek so to speak.

Winnie_in_Wi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winnie_in_Wi Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 9

Do you know if you rent a kitchen does all the work have to be done there or can you bring home the baked cakes to decorate?

I can likely find kitchen rental space but it's not realistic to rent for the time it takes to do an intricate or big cake.

I'm in Racine county if that helps.
thanks

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 9

Winnie_in_Wi,

When asking about home food processing it is always best to check:
1. Your State Department of Agriculture
2. Your State and/or local health department
3. Your local Zoning Board (Asking if you can operate a home food processing business in your particular community/neighborhood)

Each agency may provide different rules and regulations surrounding home food production. Nothing, absolutely nothing is cut and dry and depending on which county/town/township/city you live in the regs are opt to be different (nationwide).

I can also add that in some communities you can build a separate kitchen facility (i.e. basement/garage) and in other communities a few miles away you cannot.

Suggestion: When you are attempting to learn about the food production laws in your state/city/town/county, don't just take the first answer you receive. If the answer is emphatically "NO" ask what you would need to do to produce food from home. It may involve using a kitchen incubator/shared kitchen/building a separate kitchen facility or renting a commercial kitchen...learn your options and if all else fails consider talking to legislators about changing the law.

Here is a link you can use for Racine WI Food Production
http://www.cityofracine.org/City/Departments/Health/Dynamic.aspx?id=1086

City of Racine Health Department
Monday through Friday
8:00am 4:55pm
(262) 636-9201

Wisconsin Dept of Agriculture
Division of Food Safety: 608-224-4700

Kakzter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakzter Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 9

I am also in Racine County (Waterford) and I got the same answer, seperate facilities, 3 compartment sink, and seperate hand sink AND washable walls, ceiling and floors.

Im really bummed out.. Im getting orders and not sure what Im going to do.

And just to add, about 3 years ago I was at Mayfair Mall in the food court in the middle of the day, and ROACHES were crawling out of the food trays that were on the counter in front of me.. Needless to say, Ive NEVER eaten there again and never will..

And on its WORST day, my home kitchen is a million times cleaner than that.. lol.. NO roaches!

flaw in the system, perhaps.. lol

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 9

There are several incubator kitchens in WI if you need to be up and running quickly:
http://host.madison.com/article_0022aa92-0d2b-11df-bb50-001cc4c002e0.html

Kakzter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakzter Posted 5 May 2011 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 9

thanks Jason!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%