Help Plz With The Extended Cakes Recipe!

Baking By KATHIESKREATIONS Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 5:12pm by sweetmonkeycheese

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:59am
post #1 of 3

I read from onother post that they used "self-rising cake & pastry flour & superfine sugar, not AP flour & regular sugar when making the extended cakes." My question is this.... Do you use All Purpose flour & regular granulated sugar or do you use Self rising flour with superfine sugar to extend your cake recipes? I used to always use Pillsbury self rising, now I can't find it in most stores so I started buying Gold Metal. I believe it is an All Porpose flour. Which is BEST to use? icon_confused.gif

2 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 3

I use regular granulated sugar and AP flour when making the WASC recipe. That goes for either the original WASC or the Rebecca Sutterby WASC. You can use cake flour too but it works fine with AP flour which is what I have on hand at all times. I have never used pastry or self-rising flour for any of my cakes. I use the regular Pillsbury AP flour and the Great Value brand of granulated sugar. The only time you need to use superfine sugar is when you're making fine candies or meringues, or unless the cake recipe specifically calls for it.

Hope this helps.


sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 3

can someone explain the Extender to me, you can do this to box cakes and this is what you do for one box of cake?

Cake Mix Extender

1 cup flour
¾ cup sugar
½ cup oil
2/3 cup milk or water
1 tsp. baking powder

.. If you do this, would still want to add pudding or sourcream?

Quote by @%username% on %date%