Stacking ??

Decorating By tylersmom812 Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 12:28am by Mygirl919

tylersmom812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tylersmom812 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:52am
post #1 of 6

i just did my very first 2 tier cake in buttercream and everyone here said on my top layer i should have a cake board under the top tier......i had my bottom tier, straws in it to stabalize and then i had my top tier with board under it to separate...ok heres my question....after the top tier was cut into and the cake was gone...the board was removed to cute the bottom tier and then a lot of the icing came off with the board instead of staying on the cake....does that happen to everyone....?? is there a way to prevent that......did i do something wrong?? lol im new so i wasnt really sure if that happened to everyone who used BC.....if anyone can help or give me some tips, thanks

5 replies
sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 2:09am
post #2 of 6

You can use a dusting of powdered sugar before you put the top tier on. I just let my layers dry and crust overnight and that works for me. I have heard of others using coconut in place of the PS as well.

mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 2:25am
post #3 of 6

i've heard wafer paper helps and is super cheap!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 2:27am
post #4 of 6

I sprinkle the bottom tier with edible glitter then lay a circle of waxed paper over that, then set the top tier on that. The cardboard sits on the waxed paper so it doesn't get gooped full of icing. The edible glitter prevents the icing from peeling off with the waxed paper. I do let mine crust a bit before stacking. That helps too.

Jengo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jengo Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 2:39am
post #5 of 6

lmao! I just took of the top layer of my first 2 tiered cake I made this weekend and this happened to me. I wasn't sure what to do about it either. I think I'll try cutting a circle out of waxed paper next time to stop this from happening.

Mygirl919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mygirl919 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:28am
post #6 of 6

Ive had the same problem.....Ive had the buttercream come off and fondant. Im new at the tiered cakes....Ive only made 2 so far, and had it happen both times (one was buttercream cake and other was fondant). sucks with all that cake not having icing on it-felt like a waste. I will try the PS next time....I may even just make a small tiered cake this weekend to see how it works icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%