Mouse Cake Filling Question

Decorating By DinasSugarShack Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 2:53am by BlakesCakes

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:06am
post #1 of 9

Hi:
I want to make a red velvet cake with a chocolate mouse filling. Will the filling hold up on a tiered cake? I will be the 2nd and 3rd tier on a 3 tier cake. I am worried that the filling is too soft and might make the cake shift. I have never filled a cake with mouse before and I am worried.
Any advice would be appreciated

Dina

8 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:22am
post #2 of 9

I'm gonna answer this as if you meant mousse (not wanting to assume one way or another) filling. As long as you dam it well and your support system is reliable, there shouldn't be any reason why one can't use a mousse filling on any tier...be it the bottom or the top.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:36am
post #3 of 9

It's also crucial with any filling, mousse or otherwise, that you don't overfill.

You can have too much of a good thing icon_lol.gif

I like to torte my cake layers, so a single tier (4" cake") will have 3 layers of filling. I'd guess that with a whipped mousse filling, each layer is 1/3-1/2 inch.

HTH
Rae

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:05am
post #4 of 9

The mousse filling I use is extremely stable. I have never had a cake fall apart or slide with this mousse. I have had trouble with gel fillings so I prefer using mousse. Almost every cake in my photos is filled with mousse. This mousse will hold up in the fridge for up to one week. I chill all of my cakes before delivery. I take one small box of instant pudding and one pint whipping cream whip until peaks form. It will not dissolve like regular whipping cream because the pudding makes the filling stable. The helmet cake is even filled with a vanilla mousse. For my brothers wedding cake I put a layer of vanilla mousse and a layer of fresh strawberries on top. The entire cake was gone by the end of the night. I don't torte my cakes because I feel the more you cut or make cake layers thinner the less stable the cake will be but everyone thinks differently on this one. If I was making a dessert cake maybe but a stacked, carved or wedding cake I won't do it.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 7:37am
post #5 of 9

Hi! I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your recipe for your mousse filling I have heard of several different flavors, but I have just never made any. Do you know if this is the same filling that Costco puts in their cakes....their's is really good. Do you make different flavors?

DinasSugarShack Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 9

sweattreat101, would you recommend using your recipe for mousse over the Dr Otker mousse (it is mixed with one cup of milk) either alone or maybe adding a pudding package to it? Just wondering.
I made the Dr Otker mousse and it was really good on its own but it was rather unstable so I thought that maybe adding one package of the instant pudding to it might help stabilize it. Any thoughts?

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 9

I use a Bavarian Cream that sounds just as simple as sweettreat was saying:

8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 (3.5 oz) packages instant pudding mix
3/4 cup milk
12 oz Cool Whip

I have used many different flavors of pudding, and when I do I omit the cream cheese. Never tried flavors with cream cheese... but I bet they'd still be good.

Costco filling:

1 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 cup of milk
1 large package of jello vanilla pudding

Not trying to steal any credit... they recipes are in my favorites by bake-aholic and cakeladyatLA... so thank you to both of them.

DinasSugarShack Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you so much for the recipes

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:53am
post #9 of 9

If you have access to the whip-it-yourself quarts of Bettercreme, you can make a delicious shelf stable (5 days at room temp) mousse without any dairy in it.

Make a loose paste using hot water of instant pudding/mousse mix of your choice. Beat some Bettercreme to soft peaks. Add some of that into the pudding paste to loosen it more. Put that all back in with the rest of the whipped Bettercreme and mix no more than 30 seconds to incorporate.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%