Giant Cupcake Cake..

Baking By noahsmummy Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 11:12pm by donnella2045

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 3

My mum gave me a giant cupcake pan made of silicon. She was so excited about it. anyway; i tried it out.. and it was an absolute nightmare! took forever to cook, and even then, the outside was burnt yet the inside was only just cooked, even slightly undercooked. i dropped the temp. and cooked for longer because i though cooking through may be an issue, but its seems that got me no where. anyway, mums friend wants me to do a giant cupcake for her daughter now, and im paranoid its going to turn out the same way. it will be made using a gluten free cake mix (daughter is GF and this is the only cake she likes) so now im even MORE stressed (is that possible??) that this will also fail.

does anyone have any tips on how to get it to cook through? I have a flower nail, but no bake even strips, and cant get any around here..

thanks for any tips/suggestions!

2 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 3

No advice...just sympathy. I posted a couple of weeks ago about the silicone giant cupcake pan my mother gave me. She was really excited about it, too. The cake I made with it was my absolute worst cake disaster ever. It was for my DD's birthday. At 11:00 the night before I was baking 3 8" layers to stack and carve for a bottom. I don't think I'll use it again icon_rolleyes.gif. Should we start a giant cupcake support group?

donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 3

I have a metal pan and never had a problem. I did find these instructions on line for a silicone pan:
Use only 1 box of cake mix. As you can see in the video, 2 boxes ends up being far too much batter.
2.Spray the mold with oil before pouring the batter in.
3.Use a cookie sheet to place the pans on when baking.
4.These pans are deep, so that makes for long cooking times. The directions say 30 35 minutes for the top and 45 50 minutes for the base. In actuality it takes more than an hour to fully cook the cake. Cook it at 325 to 350 depending on your oven.
(These are the instructions from the QVC site)
Using the pan without the filling Insert

■The batter mix will measure approximately 4 cups. Pour 2-3/4 of the batter into the bottom mold and the remaining 1-1/4 into the top mold.
■Bake for 50-55 minutes. The top mold may bake more quickly than the bottom mold. Cooking time depends on your oven and the altitude of where you live. Just keep checking if its done by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean its time to remove from the oven.
Using the pan with the filling Insert

■The batter mix will measure approximately 4 cups. Pour 2 cups of the batter into the bottom mold and the remaining 2 cups into the top mold.
■Place the insert inside the bottom mold and make sure the insert overlaps the sides of the mold. Bake 45-50 minutes. Again, the top mold may bake more quickly than the bottom so do the toothpick method to make sure its done.
■If the cake in the bottom part of the mold rises over the edge, simply trim the edges off and fill the bottom with slightly less batter next use. (note that different climates/altitudes affect baking results)
■Once out the oven, place in the freezer for 8-10 minutes or on the counter for 15 minutes.
■For a more stable cupcake they recommend that you trim the top and bottom halves with a serrated knife. Also use frosting between the two layers.
■Before you add ice cream or fruit, freeze the bottom cupcake for 30-40 minutes.
■You might find that homemade icing is firmer and easier to work with than the store bought kind. The hardest part is decorating it. Frost it fast than put it in the fridge to harden up since it will drip. Then take it out and add final touches.

Hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%