Cardboard Cake Boards?

Decorating By Ybird Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 6:00pm by Ybird

Ybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ybird Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 3

Hi this may sound stupid but im going to be making a 3-d hot air ballon and have been told to use cardboard inbetween some of the layers on the ballon. i was wondering what sort of cardboard to use because i would of though the cardboad would go soggy when i place some cream on it to hold the cake in place??

2 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 3

I just use a round cake cardboard under my cakes. Like what is already precut into circles. The smoosh of BC to keep the cake in place doesn't make it soggy. So lots of people use just a cardboard. But others cover their cardboard circles because they are concerned about the cardboard getting soft. The problem then is what to cover it with. Because you wouldn't want little pieces of plastic wrap or whatever you cover it with to get into the cake slices when the cake is cut. So some use plain cardboard, some cover with saran wrap or the wrap that really sticks to itself (I can't remember the name), others use contact paper (but then there is the problem of is it food safe). Not sure if this helps or confuses but this is one of the questions that I don't think there is total agreement on.

Ybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ybird Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 3

Hi thankyou for your help, i was thinking of getting some of the real thin round cake boards and cutting them to the right size when i no what i need but wasnt sure how easy they would cut. I wasnt to keen on the cardboard idear unless i found some nice strong stuff as i wouldnt want it to bend with the dowls undernief, a recpe for disaster i think lol icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%