This Will Sound Ridiculous But I'm Curious...

Decorating By lollyponpon Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 7:13am by miss_sweetstory

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:08am
post #1 of 3

Like many other CC users i like to watch the cake shows that are a current trend on tv.
What i was wondering, as i am exceptionally novice and just a hobby cake decorator (with a LACK of baking skill!!) was...
HOW IN THE HEAVENS DO THE HUGE BAKERIES ALA, CARLOS, MAKE THOSE HUGE ROUND CAKES?? i was watching an episode just before where they had burnt it, and buddy just tipped it into the bin... what i noticed is he didnt need any heating cores or flower nails or anything lol
i know this is stupid--but is this because they have an industrial oven? does the cake cook a lot faster and therefore not need these heating aides?

Anyway, please feel free to laugh but if you have an answer can you let me know icon_smile.gif
Ta

2 replies
JanelleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanelleH Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:20am
post #2 of 3

I'm no expert either, but I would assume it's because of their ovens. A convection oven will bake faster than a standard oven, and the big commercial ovens have rotating racks in them which help the cakes bake more evenly. Just my two cents worth!

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:13am
post #3 of 3

The "racks" in a rotating commercial oven are solid. The entire bottom of the pan is making contact with that heated surface which helps the larger cakes bake from the bottom and the top. (Kind of like the heating core helps it bake from the center.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%