How Do I Get The Cornstarch Off My Fondant?

Decorating By Jengo Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 8:03pm by Jengo

Jengo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jengo Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:36am
post #1 of 15

Hello everyone,
I just made my first 2 tiered cake for my daughters first bithday party. I had a few issues that I need to find out about. First I'd like to find out how do I get rid of the cornstarch I have on my fondant? I tried using a pastry brush but it didn't remove everything,I then went over it with a smaller eyeshadow brush,but that didn't work,my last trick was using a thin layer of crisco over those spots,but again that didn't work. Any tips on how to get the cornstarch to go away??
I ended up buying a non stick mat from Michaels after I wanted to PULL my hair out and just throw my cake away yesterday. I'm wondering if it will just be easier to roll out the fondant on that with a light coating of crisco to make sure my fondant doesn't stick to my mat.

14 replies
MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:58am
post #2 of 15

Not knowing what your cake looks like and if it's completely finished or not, you might want to try rubbing it with a ball of fondant, that sometimes gives it a nice finish that also removes the corn starch in the process.

Also, if you happen to have an airbrush, you can spray the entire cake with vodka or Everclear that will blend in the corn starch too. The vodka and Everclear evaporate very quickly so you won't get a sticky mess. Whatever you do, don't use water!

Hope that is some help to you.

Lisa

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 2:00am
post #3 of 15

Hmmmm...I never really had that problem, the cornstarch doesn't really get on the side that shows much and if it does, it brushes right off...but I was told one time to use a baby nasal aspirator to puff it off.

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 2:01am
post #4 of 15

You could maybe try going over your cake's fondant with a piece of fresh fondant and see if you can pick it up that way.

Or, sometimes a very lightly dampened brush will work better.

Also, some people steam their fondant with a clothes steamer (this will make it look glossy though, so if you don't want that effect, just 86 that idea icon_smile.gif )

Jengo Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:14am
post #5 of 15

I posted a pic of it on my profile,or wherever it went. doubt you can see it but all over the top of my fondant is flakes of cornstarch. I couldn't get it off. I don't own an airbrush gun so that's outta the question but thanks for suggesting that. I was told to put the cornstarch on the top of the ball of fondant so it will roll out and not stick to the roller. Maybe doing that pushes it into the fondant so I can't get it off. I will try going over it with a ball of fondant tomorrow to see if the flakes will come off of the remaining cake.

Thanks for the suggestions icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:32am
post #6 of 15

I have used grapeseed oil on red and black-colored cakes in the past (the most recent was on the corset cake I did). At first it looks glossy (like in the photos) but the next morning it is a satin finish. I just brush it on lightly and then wipe it off with a clean lint-free cloth.

I also have used the ball of fondant technique for the cakes I want to leave completely matt.

HTH icon_smile.gif

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:33am
post #7 of 15

I rub a little shortening on my cakes to get all the powdered sugar (or corn starch) off. It also give the fondant some protection from drying out and cracking. Takes care of any smudges.
Stephanie

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:37am
post #8 of 15

sugarshack wipes her cakes down with crisco on a paper towel.......works great

Jengo Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:47am
post #9 of 15

Thanks everyone for the ideas icon_smile.gif I'll have to keep tryin with it until I perfect it icon_smile.gif At first the cake was so difficult to make! Esp with the fondant falling apart and the never ending cycle of wetting it down,greasing the counter,using cornstartch to try and roll it out,then the damn thing drying out again icon_sad.gif I finally gave up and just bought the damn non stick mat from Michaels and it saved my poor brain and frazzled nerves.
I have never taken a class or anything,I just thought "Hey I want to make a cake for my daughter's first birthday" and went from there.5 days later and I had a cake made. Lol it was quite an experience but I still enjoyed it.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:51am
post #10 of 15

Why were you wetting the fondant before rolling it? And I think the technique is either greasing the mat, or cornstarch, not both.

I always use vodka all over my cakes afterwards, but I don't grease the mat beforehand.

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:11am
post #11 of 15

mcaulir, this may sound silly, but does the vodka leave a taste at all? like if i were to use it on a childs cake?
just wondering because i have heard this tip at decorating school but i very rarely make cakes, just learn tricks at class and enjoy the social time! anyway, thanks!!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:08am
post #12 of 15

vodka on a damp brush, or better yet vodka via airbrush if you have it.

Jengo Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:17pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Why were you wetting the fondant before rolling it? And I think the technique is either greasing the mat, or cornstarch, not both.

I always use vodka all over my cakes afterwards, but I don't grease the mat beforehand.

I had to keep wetting the fondant to because it dried out.When I did that I had to put crisco on the counter so I could knead it. Then I'd clean the counter,and put cornstarch on the counter and top of the fondant so I could roll it. Usually by the time I got done rolling the thing out it was starting to crack at the edges and when I'd try and put it on my cake it would tear. I'd roll it back into a ball,but it would have dried out too much so I'd have to wet it again and repeat the process. After the 3rd time I just said screw it and put the fondant on the cake with the fondant having some tears in it.

misspatti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misspatti Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 15

I've used vodka that I put in a spray bottle to remove any cornstarch or icing sugar. No taste & it evaporates easily.

I personally prefer using shortening (& my mat) instead of cornstarch/icing sugar. Seems to keep the fondant a little more pliable too.. HTH

Jengo Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 8:03pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks for the tips!! I'll have time to try the other methods as a friend has asked me to bake a small 8 inch cake for her wedding anniversary this weekend icon_smile.gif I can't wait to try the WASC cake mix idea and try out crisco and my nonstick mat instead of the cornstarch. icon_lol.gif I may just get the vodka anyway so I can get drunk if the fondant goes all screwy again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%