Need Help--I Think I Have A Disaster In The Making

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 3:20am by carmijok

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 13

Hi Everyone,
desperate for help this evening, cake is due in the morning. I have 4 layer chocolate cake with raspberry filling--done this many times, never had this happened before. It looks like the top 3 layers are sliding off the bottom one so I have a lean to the cake. This cake is traveling about an hour away in customer's car, so I'm really worried that it may slide all the way. Will it? If I dowel it, will it hold? I'm not sure I can take it apart, the cake is pretty soft. ANY advise? What should I do?
Between a 6 year old, 4 week old colicky baby and husband out of town, I cannot think straight--I must have been smoking something when I agreed to make this thing, arghhhhhhhhhhhh.
HELP!!

12 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:26am
post #2 of 13

How tall is each layer?

Too much filling????????? Strong, buttercream or whipped ganache dam??????

If all else fails, I'd take it apart, put the top 2 layers on a board like a separate cake, put dowels in the bottom 2 layers, then ice as one cake.

HTH
Rae

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:27am
post #3 of 13

BlakesCakes beat me to it! My jam cake does this almost every year! I just use bubble straws to dowel it and it's fine. Good Luck!

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:28am
post #4 of 13

Can you ganache it? It will hold like a rock if you can - no sliding.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:44am
post #5 of 13

I agree with Toptier. If you crumb coat with ganache, that will prevent it from sliding.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:05am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles1727

This cake is traveling about an hour away in customer's car, so I'm really worried that it may slide all the way. Will it? If I dowel it, will it hold? I'm not sure I can take it apart, the cake is pretty soft. ANY advise? What should I do?

My advice... you'll need to take it apart and fix it. If it's sliding now, it might not make it from your door to the customer's car.

It sounds like you used too much filling. Since the cake is soft, you might want to chill it first, then separate the layers to remove some of the filling, reassemble it, and use a center dowel or skewers to help prevent it from sliding again.

Pebbles1727 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:08am
post #7 of 13

I think it's too much filling, even though I thought I put same as usual. I don't have stuff to make ganache, so you all think if I stick some dowels in it, it should hold for an hour car ride? It has a damn on it and crusting buttercream for now.

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:17am
post #8 of 13

Dowels support from bottom to top, so "sticking dowels in it" without having the top half on a board with dowels under it, isn't going to stop anything from sliding side to side.

AFTER taking it apart, putting the top half on a board, putting dowels in the bottom to support the top, and re-icing it, then you can insert one, or better, two full length dowels to inhibit side to side shift during transport.

Rae

Pebbles1727 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 2:56am
post #9 of 13

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! New cakes are in the oven, this one totally fell apart now--it is a true disaster icon_cry.gif
Zombie new mom is going to be going for 24 hours on no sleep, and it's not all my 4 week olds fault. Wonder if I can do cake balls out of this thing, it's chocolate with raspberry filling and choco buttercream, what do ya think?

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 3:11am
post #10 of 13
Quote:

Wonder if I can do cake balls out of this thing, it's chocolate with raspberry filling and choco buttercream, what do ya think?

Sounds delish.

You could probably mix it all together very well and wind up with a chocolate raspberry fudge cake filling, too icon_wink.gif

Rae

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 3:15am
post #11 of 13
Quote:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! New cakes are in the oven, this one totally fell apart now--it is a true disaster icon_cry.gif
Zombie new mom is going to be going for 24 hours on no sleep, and it's not all my 4 week olds fault. Wonder if I can do cake balls out of this thing, it's chocolate with raspberry filling and choco buttercream, what do ya think?

Cake balls it is! I have had plenty of disasters-they are my kids favorites as I make and freeze cake balls out of all of them. The filling and buttercream sound good to me, I know how those late nights can be, I have 4 kids myself and would be making cakes when I had 3 of them under the age of 3, loads of work. Take a breath, that is a lot of stress. Good luck!

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 3:18am
post #12 of 13

So sorry this happened to you!! but absolutely use the cake crumbles to make some delicious cake truffles...Hope all turns out better this time

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 3:20am
post #13 of 13

I would put a center dowel through all the layers and put it in the refrigerator. I might even use 2 or 3 depending on how big the cake is. I always put a dowel in...even for a 2 layer...just because I don't want any sliding or leaning. And so far (knock wood) I never have.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%