Don't Fear Topsy Turvy

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 4:00am by madgeowens

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:04pm
post #31 of 54

OKAY I did it! I finished my first topsy turvy. I chickened out and did not put the center dowel through the middle. Luckly the cake made it safe and sound to it's destination. Thanks for all the advice everyone. And thanks madgeowens for giving me the courage! icon_smile.gif

Here it is if you want to take a look.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1846029

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:06am
post #32 of 54

just beautiful, a fantastic job thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:35am
post #33 of 54

wow you did a great job, I bet your daughter was thrilled....I saved it....I will try three tiers too next time....I just dont know what to do with all that cake haha.........I really can hardly wait to be able to do another tt it was really fun......great job!!!! You made my day!!

p.s.
you are soooo lucky it was in one piece when you got there...be sure and use the center dowel....it goes in very easy just tap it gently....measure to be sure the top is not sticking out....also when it gets close to the top use a small dowel against that dowel and tap it in the rest of the way...nothing to it really
I love your cake!

debbief Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:30am
post #34 of 54

Thanks so much! It really was a lot of fun and I was way more nervous than I needed to be.

Madgeowens I will definately use a center dowel next time, especially if attempt a 3-tier. But I'm having the same problem as you. It's just so darn much cake! Even this 2-teir was way more cake than we needed. icon_lol.gif

mommynana Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:21am
post #35 of 54

debbief, what size were your tiers?

debbief Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:42am
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

debbief, what size were your tiers?

The bottom was 10", 9", 8" and the top was 9", 8" 6". The top concerned me a little because the 2" difference between the middle and bottom layer (8, 6) seemed too extreme. It made it seem a little top heavy. But that was the only size pans I had. If I was to do it again, I'd probably do 9", 8", 8". Does that make sense?

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:57am
post #37 of 54

You can also build a TT cake with SPS! Then you don't need that center dowel.

madgeowens Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:07am
post #38 of 54

Yes, I know....I dont think I will evr have the opportunity to make a three tier. I use a center dowel in all my cakes for added support, even the cheerleader one I just did had it in there icon_smile.gif

mommynana Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:15pm
post #39 of 54

yes it dose debbie, thanks thumbs_up.gif

sweetts99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetts99 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm
post #40 of 54

I'm sorry, I know this sounds..., well ignorant on my part but I am just getting to know all the abbreviations, what is SPS?? Icubed82 stated that you can build it with SPS and then you don't need the center dowel.
Thanks so much!
This was my firt attempt at a TT. What do you do with ALL that cake! My goodness you need an army to feed! LOL

[/url]http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1812658.html

hope the link works[/quote]

debbief Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 7:07pm
post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetts99

I'm sorry, I know this sounds..., well ignorant on my part but I am just getting to know all the abbreviations, what is SPS?? Icubed82 stated that you can build it with SPS and then you don't need the center dowel.
Thanks so much!
This was my firt attempt at a TT. What do you do with ALL that cake! My goodness you need an army to feed! LOL

[/url]http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1812658.html

hope the link works

[/quote]

Good job on your TT sweetts99 icon_smile.gif

I Know, TOO MUCH CAKE!!! icon_lol.gif

p.s. your link didn't work but I was able to cut and paste in my browser to see.

SPS = Single Plate Separator - lots of info here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

lanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanana Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 7:38pm
post #42 of 54

This cake is actually my first big attempt for a TT cake, this one was done for a Wedding and I must say that I felt really good with this cake.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1839970

Before this one, I made just a couple TT cakes but really small ones.
What I can tell you about this kind of cake: you cannot make mistakes when you build one of this, that will hurt your entire construction.
The type of cake you must use is one that is sturdy enough: wasc, pound cake, madeira cake etc.
Filling: I only use butter cream or ganache
You have to sit down to think about the sizes of your cakes.

For this one I used: bottom layer: one 13" x 2" plus one 12'x 2" the topper side of this one was flat , and i just carved 1" difference on the sides .
the next layer: 10/9/8
next: 8/7/6
topper:6/5/4

this way i carve less cake, and can produce a taller tier.
The second layer from bottom to top, was carved on the top just like we have seen on you tube. I did not carve diagonally the next one and i finally did it on the topper tier. I was just simply afraid of not having enough stability. I cover everything in chocolate ganache and cool overnight (this step is really important). To cover this cakes I have noticed MMF works the best (for me) is much more flexible and dries slowly. I used hollow plastic dowels as support. I set up at venue. And finally I used a long sharp wooden dowel all through the center of the cake. HTH.

madgeowens Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 7:56pm
post #43 of 54

wow lanana thats four tiers!!!!!!!!!!!!! great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

debbief Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 8:40pm
post #44 of 54

What a gorgeous cake lanana! And thanks for the great details in the construction!

What do you say Madgeowens, 4 tier next? icon_wink.gif Just kidding, I'd love to try, but again, who's gonna eat all that cake icon_lol.gif

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:03am
post #45 of 54

Llana, I am curious how many serving did that end up being for you with 4 tiers?

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:07am
post #46 of 54

They look so cool......I wish I had the opportunity to make a three tier....but I cannot figure when I would ever get to make a four tier lol.....thats a lot of servings.......I had so much fun doing the tt, I can't wait to be able to do another...maybe Christmas hehe

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:11am
post #47 of 54

sweets99 here is your link, the other one does not work

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1812658

great job on your tt

lanana Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:24am
post #48 of 54

they saved the topper tier. and they needed aroud 130 servings. When I spoke with the brides mother, she never mentioned anything like we had too much cake left over, or anything like ohh, part of our guest couldn´t eat cake because we didn´t have enough cake. I never use the wilton cutting chart, honestly 12 servings out of a 6¨ cakes, it doesn´t look serious for me. But it´s just my point of view.

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:20am
post #49 of 54

Yeah we cut wampin big ol pieces around here hehehe

sweetts99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetts99 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:50pm
post #50 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

sweets99 here is your link, the other one does not work

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1812658

great job on your tt

Thank you!! I will eventually figure out how to work things on here! LOL

Question: I know most TT use MMF or some type of fondant, however, what would you use if someone does not like either of those?? We don't really care for it that is why I tend to use alot of rolled buttercream, but lets face it, that stuff is tempermental at best! Thanks ladies, OH and gentelman (that is sooo cool by the way)

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:51pm
post #51 of 54

You can just do it in butter cream

lanana Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:40pm
post #52 of 54

this one is actually all butter cream. But it can turn really messy!! not totally sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QhBbNeGBmI&p=5699778AEC5C521C&feature=list_related&playnext=1

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 9:45pm
post #53 of 54

Did you see that top tier wiggling around when she was done............don't think I would trust that....

As far as bc, if you decorate with fondant dots and stripes or stars or whatever you can hide a multitude of oopsies

madgeowens Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:00am
post #54 of 54

If you check ednas cakes...tonedna......I think most of hers are buttercream, they are so smooth and beautiful, amazing really

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%