Don't Fear Topsy Turvy

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 4:00am by madgeowens

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 54

I waited for a year before getting up the courage to try tt.........I only did 2 tiers but check it out...not bad for first time and it was so much easier then I had thought it would be!!! I was sooooo paranoid .....I made one for my birthday so if I messed it up it was for me.....its one of my all time favorites....go figure hehe
...don't let it intimidate you....watch the great vid on youtube by janelle....and then go for it!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1815018

53 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 54

I want to try this really bad, but I'm so scared! Not to mention, it looks like I would need to make a fairly large cake to get the right effect, even if I just did 2 layers... I am making my niece a cake for her b-day this month and I told her I wanted to try it on hers, but still don't know if I'm going to get up the nerve.

madgeowens, yours is beautiful! I hope when I finally take the plunge, I can do that well!

How big were your tiers and how many layers were they? Did you use the instructions that have you cut a hole for the tier above to sit on?

jagvipers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jagvipers Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 54

I have seen Janelle's youtube also - I just watched it again because I'm going to attempt this for a cake I need to make next weekend! Just your subject line 'dont fear the topsy' gave me a little encouragement to try it! Question - on her youtube, it looks like the very bottom layer of the bottom cake is smaller around then the other ones on the bottom layer. ??

madgeowens Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 54

yes her bottom layer is smaller, and she used that to trim down the sides, I had to watch about 10 times until I got that lol.....I used 4 layers for the 8 inch(bottom) and 3 layers for the 6 incher....be sure and not take too terrible much off the sides of the top one....yes I measured the base of the top one to make the cut out pattern for the top....be sure it has fondant on it before you trace the base....because it will be bigger than the hole if you dont...then use a tiny level to make sure its level...hope that made sense....it is not at all as hard as I thought, and I know I can make a three tier if I want...have fun...watch that tutorial over until you feel confident....can't wait to see them!! Oh make sure you use wood dowels for support and they are all same level and the center dowel thru both...and you will be good!

madgeowens Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 54

also watch closely when she is trimming the sides....she starts closer two the second cake to begin trimming...not at the top one...thats key,,,her video is a big help

jagvipers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jagvipers Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 54

Thanks! I'll be watching it many more times I'm sure! If the bottom layers are 8 inches, how big is the 'bottom layer of the bottom layer' - did they make sense??

madgeowens Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 54

I used a 7 inch myself...I don't know that she ever said what she used in the video...you could try and ask her......you dont have to do it that way but it made it easier....that was the hardest part of the entire process for me...but it came out good....I really loved my birthday cake...only thing I think I did wrong was I did not position my drapes in the right place to be able to show off my angles better in the pics haha..but I loved my cake anyway hehe

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 54

You did a great job madge.. you should be proud... and happy birthday thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 54

Who is Janelle?

madgeowens Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 54

Than you glow.....Bob I don't know, but she is on youtube..I will get link

madgeowens Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 54

madgeowens Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 11:42pm
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagvipers

I have seen Janelle's youtube also - I just watched it again because I'm going to attempt this for a cake I need to make next weekend! Just your subject line 'dont fear the topsy' gave me a little encouragement to try it! Question - on her youtube, it looks like the very bottom layer of the bottom cake is smaller around then the other ones on the bottom layer. ??

I just noticed on her blog she used a 9 inch under the 10 inch to carve.......so I lucked out with using an inch less also for it....

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 11:51pm
post #13 of 54

Thanks Madge!! icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:07am
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

I want to try this really bad, but I'm so scared! Not to mention, it looks like I would need to make a fairly large cake to get the right effect, even if I just did 2 layers... I am making my niece a cake for her b-day this month and I told her I wanted to try it on hers, but still don't know if I'm going to get up the nerve.

madgeowens, yours is beautiful! I hope when I finally take the plunge, I can do that well!

How big were your tiers and how many layers were they? Did you use the instructions that have you cut a hole for the tier above to sit on?

I heard somewhere....that the larger around the cake the more layers you need to use for it to look right...such as 10 inch you would need at least 4 layers...I used 4 with my 8 incher and it just looks to squat if you use less....so if I were to do a three tier I would use 4 layers for the 10 inch 4 layers for the 8 inch and three for the six....thats how I would do it...

madgeowens Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:13am
post #15 of 54

One other thing......I used the wasc redcipe for yellow and for chocolate and it worked great....I don't care for pound cake............oh and chill or semi freeze it before cutting....thats important, and trim little by little not big cuts....don't be afraid.........it was fun!!!

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:27am
post #16 of 54

this may be a stupid question but do you need to put each tier on a board?

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:32am
post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

this may be a stupid question but do you need to put each tier on a board?

Definitely! The more support, the better!

mommynana Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:52am
post #18 of 54

thanks scarlets-cakes she makes it look sooooo easy in that video

madgeowens Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 2:04am
post #19 of 54

absolutely, you need a board in between

mommynana Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 2:08am
post #20 of 54

something else please . how do u get a dowel throu the whole cake with a board in between the layers ? in the video she put one thou the whole cake icon_rolleyes.gif

madgeowens Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 2:19am
post #21 of 54

use a pencil sharpner only used for this.....I use a hammer and tap it all the way to the bottom...dont make it too pointy that it splinters

mommynana Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 11:53pm
post #22 of 54

madgeowens, if i used ahammer i think i would knock down the whole cake lol the cake boards are reg, ones right? i mean, do they have thin ones that you use for that, just reg cake boards right?

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 12:16am
post #23 of 54

hmmm i may have to attempt again! my last one turned out as nothing less then a complete disaster!! (see pics lol) but ill blame heat for that.. hehe. i think this time i may just play it safe and go two tiers only. now to find an eevent to make ti for...

madgeowens Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 12:36am
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

madgeowens, if i used ahammer i think i would knock down the whole cake lol the cake boards are reg, ones right? i mean, do they have thin ones that you use for that, just reg cake boards right?

well your not going to slam it home with one hit lol...little taps, and its just the thin cardboard cake boards.....and if its on foamboard it will go into that as well.....I have a small hammer I only use for this

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:14am
post #25 of 54

I agree! Definately don't fear topsy turvy! I never got around to doing a test run before doing my first topsy (the wedding cake in my photos). The only test I did was the tapered sides on the princess cake I made. If you watch Janelle's video and understand how to do it, it's not difficult. I encourage everyone to give it a shot!
And Madge, great job! Your cake looks great!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:44am
post #26 of 54

Madgeowens I have to make a tospy turvy for my friend next Saturday. We were playing around with different size cake pans today trying to figure out what sizes to choose. The bottom tier is going to be a 10 and the top an 8 inch. She wants it three layers high. Should I use two 10 inch layers and one 8? The top she was thinking an two 8 inch cakes and a 6 but she is afraid there won't be enough cake with the bottom layer being to small. What would be the best configuration? I had her and her daughter help make the decorations so this is pretty much a freebie for a friend. Any help on sizes greatly appreciated.

madgeowens Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:16am
post #27 of 54

If you do a ten inch on bottom I would use three layers 10 inch and one 9 inch...using the nine inch on the bottom to guide you carving(watch video) the next tier should be three 8 inch and one 7 inch on bottom to carve tha tier....thats alot of cake....then you can use three layers of 6 inch for the top....chill it really well to carve....I can't recommend the janelle video enough...the link is earlier in this blog...good luck

also thanks you afunk icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:26am
post #28 of 54

Thank you Madeowens. You are awesome. This will be my first topsy turvy. Now I can stop stressing on what sizes to use. I have watched her video twice. Think I will have to watch it again. Thank you!

debbief Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 9:49pm
post #29 of 54

Had to dig up this thread to say I'm axiously waiting for 5pm so I can leave work and go home to attempt my first topsy turvy (2-tier). I'll admit, I have a little fear, but I've researched and researched and watched youtube and read tutorials and prepared the best I can.

I actually carved, ganached and covered the bottom tier in fondant last night. All I have left to do with the top tier is cover in fondant. So I'm almost past the hardest part. I'm just hoping the stacking part works out. I'm sooo scared to pound that center dowel in it. I've never done it before. Is it really necessary for a 2-tier???

debbief Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 9:50pm
post #30 of 54

darn double posts icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%