Stand Up Frog Toppers....how Do I Make These???

Decorating By mokhalatte Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 1:25pm by traci_doodle

mokhalatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mokhalatte Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:45am
post #1 of 8

Ok, cakers...how do I make these stand up frog cake toppers??

7 replies
tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:53am
post #2 of 8

Froggies! Have fun!

mokhalatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mokhalatte Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:40am
post #3 of 8

I thought I added the attachment. How do I make these cute little guys http://cakebelieve.net/images/girl_frog_cupcakes.jpg
(it wont let me upload the picture) not sure why....[/url]

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:05am
post #4 of 8

Those look like color flow/royal icing.

I'm NOT an expert so you should probably search for tutorials on color flow for more details. My ancient Wilton yearbook has instructions & you can probably find them on the Wilton site or youtube

Essentially, you find an image you want to create. Lay a piece of wax paper over the image and then trace it with RI--do all the dark outlines & details. Once those dry/harden, you can fill/flood the body color with color flow icing (RI + color flow mix).

HTH
Kristy

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 9:15am
post #5 of 8

Another way you could make them would be to roll out a piece of green mmf, a little thicker then usual, cut with a small 5 or 6 petal flower cutter and allow to set up. Set two of the petals in the position of where the eyes would be.While they were setting up you could do the details with either more fondant or royal icing.
You could just use the flower shape as the head and form frogs legs out of fondant, or pipe some butter cream frogs legs in place.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 8

I would just cut them out of gumpaste or fondant. Let them dry and go back with some edible markers for details.

chasebrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasebrad Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 8

These are made from colored chocolate and use the same method you would use for a FBCT. Hope that helps!

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 8

I agree with chasebrad. These are made from "chocolate", or melting candy wafers you find at craft stores. It would go much quicker if you used fondant to recreate these, but if you wanted to use melting wafers they would taste better. icon_smile.gif If you decide to do wafers, I actually think it's easier to get the small details if you use a paintbrush. If I did these, I would do them a little different. I think it would be cute to paint the outline and fill it in with the "chocolate", then after it sets, turn it over and then paint on the details. That way the details would pop and you wouldn't have to worry about smearing your small details by adding hot chocolate on hot chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%