Cake In A Jar. Is It Safe?

Decorating By sneakee Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 7:30pm by imagenthatnj

sneakee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sneakee Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 5

I couldn't find a discussion here for this. If there is one, please point me to it icon_smile.gif I want to ship a birthday cake in a jar to my grandson in Afghan. I know others do it, but I have read that once the jar is sealed with a vacuum, it becomes the perfect breeding place for botulism. I obviously don't want to make my grandson sick! He is in a "tent city" and it will take quite a while to be delivered to him. Do you think I should NOT take the chance? Any other ideas for a sweet treat in jar for his birthday that might be safer? I know that cakes and cupcakes in a jar are great, but it says everywhere that they should be refrigerated and/or frozen to prevent bacteria because of the acidity factor. I had all of my jars boiled and ready and then read about them being unsafe to ship. Sigh.... Your ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 5

This is a very good thread on sending cakes-in-a-jar to soldiers in the Middle East.
You will need to read the entire thread, though; it wanders a bit.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=606603&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

sneakee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sneakee Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 5

thanks for the info! I think I will NOT send the cake in the jar. I would feel so horrible if he became ill. Maybe I will just take the jar and fill it with pre-wrapped brownies, candies, etc. and then decorate the jar icon_smile.gif I will look around for other ideas, too. I know that others have had great luck, but I just don't feel comfortable taking a chance. It seems that homemade is not quite as safe as store bought items with "preservatives" when you have to rely on a 3 week shipment! I'll just have to try and be a little inventive! Thanks!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 5

That's a great idea. Send him all his favorite candies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%