Help Making Barn Out Of Rice Krispie Treats!

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 3:05pm by kileyscakes

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 8

I think I have the idea down in my head, so I just wanted to see what you all think. I was thinking of using the rice krispie recipe but with little or no butter and maybe putting the rice krispies in the food processor to make them more fine. I was also thinking I should mold it while warm and let sit and then trim if needed with a knife. Then I was going to trace the molded barn on cardstock to make templates and then just cut fondant/gumpaste panels let them dry some and then glue them on with frosting. I was hoping someone that has made one could let me know if this sounds right or if they have any tips or suggestions.
TIA
Kiley

7 replies
kileyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 8

bumb please

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 8

I just made a barn last weekend and did it out of rice crispie treats. I actually used the premade ones that you purchase in the store. They are much firmer than home made ones. I use them for something that is going to be tall and need to hold its shape. Mine was about 6 inches high and 3 inches wide. I then covered it in fondant panels like you are suggesting. I then added the roof in strips to look like a shaker style roof. I can email it to you for you to look at. Just pm me your email. I didn't upload it to hear yet. I am trying to upload now, but having some problems. I did it a few days before I needed it, and the fondant dried. I left the bottom exposed to be able to put a dowel through it...hope this helps!

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 8

I just made a barn last weekend and did it out of rice crispie treats. I actually used the premade ones that you purchase in the store. They are much firmer than home made ones. I use them for something that is going to be tall and need to hold its shape. Mine was about 6 inches high and 3 inches wide. I then covered it in fondant panels like you are suggesting. I then added the roof in strips to look like a shaker style roof. I can email it to you for you to look at. Just pm me your email. I didn't upload it to hear yet. I am trying to upload now, but having some problems. I did it a few days before I needed it, and the fondant dried. I left the bottom exposed to be able to put a dowel through it...hope this helps!

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 12:00am
post #5 of 8

I made a barn out of rkt for this cake. I made the standard recipe and just molded the shape I wanted while still warm. After I had the shape I wanted, I traced the rkt on paper to make a template (each side.) Then I cut out the fondant (that I had already used a woodgrain impression mat on) using the templates for each side. I adhered the fondant with a coat of buttercream and covered the seams with a white strip. I did the roof in strips. I think it was adorable.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1789804

Hope that helps. Good luck icon_smile.gif

kileyscakes Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:04am
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much for the help apetricek I will pm you my email, and SugarKissesCakery I was actually looking at your picture in my favorites for inspiration so that is so cool you responded thanks for the help too!! Wish me luck!!

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:29am
post #7 of 8

Good luck! I'd love to see the finished cake icon_smile.gif

kileyscakes Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 8

Ok I will let you know, It will be for next weekend so I will post a pic then!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%