Constructive Critisism

Decorating By Wnt2BACakeStar Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 11:18pm by Wnt2BACakeStar

Wnt2BACakeStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wnt2BACakeStar Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 19

Does anyone else find it hard to give out constructive critisism? I don't see very many comments of that type on photos here and I was just wondering why? I know that it's tough because you figure someone took all day/days making that cake, how do I tell them it doesn't look so great? Or there's something that they could have done better? I mean personally I wouldn't mmind if someone told me hey you need a little more improvement in this area or you could have done this to improve that, as long as they did it honestly and in a respectful manner. It's great to get tons of views and great comments but it would be nice to get some critisisms as well. Does anyone else feel the same?

18 replies
mommakabob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakabob Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 19

I agree. If it is said in a nice way, it's very helpful. Always start out saying something nice about the cake and let them know it shows that they put a lot of effort in, and then add some tips. That's the only way to learn, right?

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 19

A agree with you guys. How are we to learn and get better? Why don't we start here? Let's look at each others pics and lend a helping hand. I'm self though and would love for someone to tell me what I can do better icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 19

People share cakes for many reasons and sometimes it is just to share them. We can often look at our cakes and figure out what we can improve on them. I can look at one of my cakes and say my icing could be smoother, so I really don't feel I need 10 people telling me the same thing I am thinking. I don't post my cakes for people to tell me what I did wrong. I post them because I liked the cake, felt good about the outcome, or wanted to share the idea and of course because the pat on the back that you did a cake is always nice.

There use to be a group around here that you could join and give and recieve constructive critisim, but I'm not sure if they are still doing it. And if someone really wants it they can always start a thread and ask for it, but they should be clear that some of the replies won't be sugar coated.

My personal opinion is that if someone doesn't ask I am not going to give negative feed back. I don't know the story behind the cake. Maybe it was their first or second cake? Maybe they were having a really bad day when they made it? Maybe they realise that their cakes aren't pro quality and they just wanted to share it anyway?

Often times our creations are very personal and even if we aren't trying to take the comments personally they can be mistaken as hurtful.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 19

TexasSugar I agree 100%. I pretty much know what's wrong with my cakes & when I post it is just to share them or get that "pat on the back". I would never give criticism unless someone specifically asked for it. If so, then by all means give "constructive" criticism, but other wise I see no point in saying anything negative regardless of intention.

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 19

I agree that critisism is a good way to help us to learn and improve, but not everyone feels that way! as texas said if someone has worked really hard on a cake and is proud of the result it will most definately be hurtful to that person to hear that other ppl can see faults in their work, even if it is said nicely.(and there are members that wont "sugar coat" it!) therefor i would only give critisism if asked for it. the old saying is good here "if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all"

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 19

The critique group Texas spoke about is in the Lounge. Make sure to read the first post, it has the rules of engagement.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=624760&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=critique&&start=315

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 19

I used to love those critique groups here in CC. It really makes people get better if you can give an honest opinion (nicely worded) on what they could do better the next time.

Are those critique groups (or maybe just that one) still around in CC? I used to go and find old cakes to see what people would say about them. Haven't seen any of those lately.

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 19

Ive often wondered about this myself and I see every viewpoint. I really dont feel constructive criticism is appropriate unless someone has specifically requested it

.. However, I also dont feel its appropriate to blow smoke up someones [chimney chute] either - which I sometimes think happens here. LOL!!

~diem

mommakabob Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:13am
post #10 of 19

I definietly see both sidesof the story, Cakediva101, I will look at yours and critique, if you'd like and you can do the same for me! then im gonna check out that forum!

mommakabob Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:25am
post #11 of 19

of course i tried and then started critiquing others by mistake! i thought they were all yours, I dont know what happened, but now I have added suggestions to people who haven't asked...oops

mommakabob Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:34am
post #12 of 19

And please, ANYBODY, feel free to critique my work, I really need the help and suggestions! Thanks in advance!

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:44am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommakabob

of course i tried and then started critiquing others by mistake! i thought they were all yours, I dont know what happened, but now I have added suggestions to people who haven't asked...oops

You probably hit the next button and it sent you to the next photo in the CATEGORY, not in the poster's photos. icon_surprised.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:24am
post #14 of 19

Some people get their feeling hurt if you tell them the truth. I've got PM's saying I didn't appreciate that or "your so mean!" Some just defend themselves and blame it on, "That's what the customer wanted."
Everyone is different.

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:27pm
post #15 of 19

I would love some constructive criticism. I am just starting out so I know my cakes are far from amazing and it would be great to hear some tips from people that are experienced (respectfully of course). That is why I plan on attending competitions, I am sure I won't get first place but I am more looking forward to the slips from the judges to tell me what I should improve.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:24pm
post #16 of 19

I'd like to think I could handle constructive criticism, but I think I'm a big ninny. There are quite a few pictures in my gallery I think, YIKES, what was I thinking posting them on here?! But, it is nice to go back and look through a progression of work, ya know?

jpck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpck Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:24pm
post #17 of 19

I think constructive critism can be god, if asked for it. I think I only have 4 or so pictures of cakes on my page, I've only done that many. I'm a stay at home mom, with 2 toddlers, so when I start a cake (so far it's only been for family parties) I start the cakes late late in the evening, not realyl an excuse, but when I posted them on here, I honestly just wanted to hear someone, ANYONE besides family, say "good job". I am so proud of the simple cakes I have done, I know I can improve on alot and have oved having this site to refer to, but some techniquies I know nothing of and or, have started practicing using my tips and bags and wax paper, so I like I can post my works in progress, and I love how it made me feel just starting, to see someone had added one of my cakes to favorites icon_wink.gif

All that being said, I don't mind constuctive critism, keyword being constructive....because I used to be one of those people who would go to walmart or brookshires bakery, get a cake, get it home and be furious about it. Somehow my cakes were never perfect, and I am one of those moms who think the cake makes the party. After deciding to do all of the kids cakes, I eralized how hard it is to get a "perfect" cake, and learned real fast, people should appreciate the work that goes into any cake, especially a more detailed one. The cake I have posted the Star Wars Character Bobofett (or whoever lol) that cake has lots of flaws....I was not happy with border, BUT, that cake took me from about 8pm-5am to finish, during which time, my 2 yr old woke up once for about an hour, and my 4 yr old woke up for about 2 hours, my husband slept on the couch and woke up occasionally to fix me a drink lol. Lots of love and patience went into that one, and had anyone at that party said anything negative, lol, I would have strangled them!! icon_twisted.gif

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:42pm
post #18 of 19

Here's my take. Those that are looking for help and/or constructive criticism usually do so in the forums. They post a pic or link to their cake and say "what could I have done to improve this?" etc.

I dare say, I doubt most people are posting their cakes in the gallery looking for critique notes that are less that positive. I'd venture to guess that a lot of cakers out there are like me, in that, by the time a cake is finished, you are WELL aware of every little flaw that is present (and it might just make it difficult to go to sleep that night because you just hate that it's not perfect). icon_sad.gif

I agree with Texas sugar, most people know where their cake fell short and have a good idea what they'll do next time because of what they learned while doing it.

I treat the gallery like this - if I don't have anything nice to say, I don't comment. Sometimes it's nice just to post your work among those who understand your labor of love and can help pump you up when you are feeling deflated.

Wnt2BACakeStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wnt2BACakeStar Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 11:18pm
post #19 of 19

Oh by the way if anyone would like to critique any of my cakes please feel free to do so. As long as it is in a constructive manner I don't mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%