Top Chef--Just Desserts & Slyvia Weinstock

Lounge By neecerator Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 12:42am by JaeRodriguez

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 12

I really love this show! Does anyone else watch it? It's brand new as of a week or so ago. It's on Wed. 10pm on Bravo TV. Last night Sylvia Weinstock was on as a special guest and judge. They gave them 1.5 hours to make a wedding cake!! Can you believe this? They were under serious pressure, and it was interesting to see what they came up with in that short amount of time. Any comments?

11 replies
mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 12

I watched that episode last night and really enjoyed it. I was surprised that pastry chefs did not know alot about stacking cakes. I also was surprised that the beautifully decorated cake was not pick by the lady who said she did her own wedding cake and they showed a picture of her wedding cake. I have to assume the wining cake won based on taste of the fillings and frosting.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 12

I would have loved to have taste tested all of them.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 12

I watched the first few episodes. There's entirely too much crying and high drama on that show, so I'm going to give it a miss until they get down to just a few finalists. Hopefully by then all the criers and drama queens will have been kicked off.

I thought Sylvia was a trip though.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 12

I loved Sylvia on that show, but I wanted to tell her to get some glasses that are more appropriate to the size of her head! icon_biggrin.gif

The thing about the show to me is that the challenges aren't as difficult as the regular show. Honestly, I'm not a pastry chef, but I think I could have done all of the challeges on the shows so far. I think the biggest challenge would be in not smacking Seth. what a drama queen! icon_rolleyes.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 12

Watch it!!?? Are you kidding - ever since Top Chef began, I begged (as well as thousands others, I'm sure) them to have a Pastry Chef competition. The hour and a half wedding cake "Quick fire" was great. I think the reason some pastry chefs had not made or stacked wedding cakes before is that many pastry chefs do only plated desserts for restaurants, catering,etc.. But, for the one contestant (Seth, I think) to not even try to make a wedding cake was lazy IMO.

I agree there is too much drama but couldn't believe the one contestant who said she couldn't believe them crying, because she has NEVER cried over a cake. Are you kidding me? These contestants are baking for their careers, their reputations...all under highly stressful conditions. To fail or perform poorly would be terrible. I'll keep watching.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

I loved Sylvia on that show, but I wanted to tell her to get some glasses that are more appropriate to the size of her head! icon_biggrin.gif

Sylvia's glasses are the bomb. I LOVE them! When I'm her age I'm totally getting the big giant glasses! icon_biggrin.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 12

I love all the Top Chef francises but this is by far my favorite! Dessert has always been my thing, to make and to eat icon_lol.gif. I thought the wedding cake challenge was hilarious! Seriously, 1.5 hours? I actually thought the guy who always refers to himself as a baker and not a pastry chef would have done better in that one.

I need to go to topchef.com or whatever the website is to find out what a financier (sp?) is. Looked like maybe a cross between a cake and a flan?

I love Sylvia's glasses, too!

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 12

Elcee~Financiers are just little cakes made with brown butter. I think they are rather boring and kinda dry but what do I know, right?!

I do like the show. And the wedding cake challenge was crazy! And I agree, most of the people probably just do plated desserts, or mostly. Cake and stacking cakes is a challenge for most of them.

There is a lot of drama on the show and the Seth character needs to be smacked. What a baby. But really, many of them are crazy and rude. But when stress gets a hold of you, I guess you do horrible things.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 12

Oh My Gosh, I so agree ~ Seth needs to get a grip! I love the show, I like it better than the regular Top Chef. thumbs_up.gif 1 1/2 hours for a wedding cake, how crazy is that, but there were some very pretty ones!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 11:16pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by _christina_

Elcee~Financiers are just little cakes made with brown butter. I think they are rather boring and kinda dry but what do I know, right?!

Thanks, Christina!

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:42am
post #12 of 12

Oh those are her signiture glasses! :]

I flipped the channel and saw her and I stopped it because I am in awe of everything Weinstock! haha My husband came in and said "oh, wow, she needs some new glasses". OH NO YOU DIDN'T! hehe

I can't imagine having to do a cake in that amount of time, but I seriously was shocked that some didn't even attempt it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%