Gumpaste Pine Cone

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 27 Sep 2013 , 2:49pm by kjgm

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 16

Hello fellow CCer's. I have done a google search and also a search on CC, but cant find anything on gumpaste pine cone how to's. I would think I could use the tear drop petal cutter but was just wondering if anyone had any tips! Thanks

15 replies
Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 16

I'm not really sure how to do it but have you researched clay pinecones. Most clay tutorials also work with gumpaste.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 16

For a full-sized, detailed pinecone, I think you're right about the petal cutter and building around a cone-shaped base. But for quick, little pinecones I've used a different method. In my photos, the chocolate wreath cake has little pinecones made of modeling chocolate. The method is to roll out a long strip of chocolate or gumpaste, cut one side in a straight edge and then fringe the other side with cuts every quarter inch or so. Then roll up the strip and fan out the cut edges. If you look at the photo, I think you'll understand right away how I did them. Not detailed or fancy, but good in a mix of other shapes. HTH.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 16

for the most beautiful pinecones I have seen, check out costumeczar's blog. She has a way to do them with chocolate on there, and they are amazing looking.

cathie_shinnick Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks everyone, I will check into them all icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:32am
post #6 of 16

Do you have a direct link to the pinecones on costumeczar's blog? I must be stupid, can't find it anywhere??

Loucinda Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 16

I have it saved, but it is not mine, so I don't want to post it without her permission. Try pming her - she is on her pretty often.

Ursula40 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 16

I found it thanks, and yes i have saved it now as well, because more often than not, I cannot open blogs in Chi***na. Today I could, YEAH!!!!

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 16

I couldn't find it icon_sad.gif. Could you please share the link.

Ursula40 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 16

I can't post the link to the blog, because I have to go via a proxy and that distorts the link. but look under wedding cakes, the choc pine cone one, I think it was, or just pm costumeczar. I searched every entry, took me a whole day, but I found it in the end. Had to use different proxies (blogs are blocked in my host country, so it wasn''t that easy)

All i can say is, wow, that was a genious idea

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 16

Hi everyone...I've been getting some pm's about this, so I thought that I'd just find the thread and post the link to my blog. Here it is, feel free to email me if you have any questions about it. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2009/12/chocolate-pinecone-cake-and-how-to.html

Loucinda Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks Kara!

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 16

Those pine cones are so realistic! I can't wait to try them! Thanks for sharing your link with us. icon_biggrin.gif

cathie_shinnick Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:27pm
post #14 of 16

I can't wait to try these next weekend...thanks for sharing.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:57pm
post #15 of 16

A BIG thank you for posting the link...
that is amazing, so simple when you show it , yet looks so perfect icon_smile.gif
love it!
Jodi

kjgm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgm Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 2:49pm
post #16 of 16

thank you for posting this...Yours turned out fabulous!! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%