Darker Colour For Chocolate Buttercream?

Decorating By pmarks0 Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm by pmarks0

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 10

I usually use this recipe for my SMBC http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5453/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations. I've made it in chocolate using semi-sweet chocolate but the longer you mix it (and you want to, to make sure the chocolate is evenly incorporated) the colour gets lighter. I find this as well with an american buttercream. Anyone have any idea on how to get a darker chocolate buttercream?

Thanks
Pam

9 replies
TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 10

I don't use SMBC, but with American BC, if I want a fudgy frosting, I mix up the regular buttercream (stiff consistency), then hand mix in ganache or a jar of hot fudge topping. It will give you a more fudge like texture and darker fudgy color like a can of store bought frosting would.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 8:04am
post #3 of 10

I use Toba Garretts chocolate butter cream recipe. It's the best chocolate butter cream I have tasted. You could use semi sweet or dark chocolate to make the ganache for the recipe. It would give you a darker color. I usually use milk chocolate. You can see the chocolate butter cream in my photos.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 8:05am
post #4 of 10

Forgot to add. I purchased Fondarific chocolate fondant and didn't think it was dark enough for the cake I was covering. The owner told me to add a little black food coloring and it worked. Made a nice dark brown. Try doing this with your butter cream.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 8:33am
post #5 of 10

Just add brown food colour.
xx

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 10

Or add more chocolate. icon_smile.gif

I really like Hersey's Special Dark Cocoa too. It makes a darker, richer buttercream (american buttercream anyway.)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 10

Or add more chocolate. icon_smile.gif

I really like Hersey's Special Dark Cocoa too. It makes a darker, richer buttercream (american buttercream anyway.)

pmarks0 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone! Lots of good ideas. And I've got Toba Garrett's book too!

Glad I came to check. I haven't gotten any notification about replies.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 10

after you start a topic you need to go back into it and click start watching this topic, under the reply bit. odd, but it doesnt do it automatically!
xx

pmarks0 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 10

It never worked like that before. I've always gotten notification and the "notify me when a reply is posted" is a default setting.

In any case, I'll do so from now on. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%