Burgandy Buttercreme

Decorating By Nikkicakes Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 1:34pm by Sweetwise

Nikkicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikkicakes Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 7

How do I get this color? Anyone? If I start with red what should I add, or should I start with a chocolate and add red? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

6 replies
cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 7

A little bit of black will deepen the red.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 7

Just be careful not to make the icing bitter, try using non taste red from wilton, and even then the flavor can change, specially if adding black.... I personally made the decistion to not offer those dark colors on BC anymore ...icon_sad.gif

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 7

Starting with a chocolate buttercream or a whipped ganache helps get richer colors faster. The colors will not be true to what they normally provide, but they will be darker and richer with less color.
Just be mindful that the color will deepen and change as it sits. So, it is best to color little by little and if possible, let it set for an hour or so to see what the end color will be (when starting with white icing as well).

Nikkicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikkicakes Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 12:49am
post #5 of 7

Thanks!

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 7

I usually do my colors the night before b/c they get darker as they sit, and even darker after frosting.

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 7

I use that color alot. I use Americolor Super Red, then add some Americolor Maroon to deepen it. It really comes out consistently the color I want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%