Can I Cover With Fondant A German Chocolate Cake? Help!!!!!

Decorating By karenapple Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 12:46pm by DianeLM

karenapple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenapple Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 4

I was making for the first time a German Chocolate cake that I have to cover with fondant. It's gonna be 2 tiers, maybe 3, with a small one, I'm not sure yet.
But as I was following the recipe (from the box of German's bar), which asks for beating the egg whites 'til stiff peaks, I didn't realized of the fondant. I mean, I just thought of it after the cakes were baked... they're cooling right now. They'll be softer than the pound cakes I make , of course...
So, my question is if they'll hold up if I cover with marshmallow fondant and put them in tiers.
The cake is for Sunday, I'm planing on freezing them to get them a little firm, but I must now if I should remake the cakes with a recipe that doesn't call for beaten egg whites.
I don't want the cake to collapse!!!
Thanks in advance!

3 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 12:16am
post #2 of 4

Beaten egg whites isn't necessarily a death sentence. icon_smile.gif

I suggest that after leveling and filling your individual tiers, you wrap them in plastic wrap and place a weight on top of each of them to help compress the air in the cakes.

For weights, you can use a cake pan with a large can inside, a baking stone, a ceramic tile. Stay away from items that may not have even weight distribution, like boxes of cake mixes. Keep a level handy so you can check periodically to make sure the weight hasn't started tilting.

Leave the weights on for at least 3 hours. After this compression, the weight of the fondant should not cause the cakes to compress more.

karenapple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenapple Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:10am
post #3 of 4

Wow! That looks like a great way to go !! it totally makes sense!! You took a weight from my back (that I'll put on the cakes lolol) I was here thinking if I should make the cakes again or if they would survive, but your tips definitely sound a safe territory!!
Thanks a lot!!!!!!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 4

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%