Monogram On Cake?

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 2:15am by loves2bake

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 5

What is the best medium to use for a monogram on the sides of a cake? And the most accurate way to do the actual monogram? I've done a few but was not happy with the results, so wanted some insight...

4 replies
cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 5

I would pipe royal onto waxed paper and let it dry, then attach it with royal, as well. And, you could print the monogram in the style/size you want online and set it under the wax paper and pipe over it. Just a thought...

Nevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nevie Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 5

I second what cakemamma said. I print letters on the computer and use them as a guide under parchment. When piping the letters, I print in mirror image so the smooth side is up, like a FBCT. I did this with chocolate for some cupcake toppers and it worked very well.

I also use gumpaste/ fondant. First, print out the letter you want and cut it out. I use cardstock. Then I roll out the gum paste, lay on the template and cut out the shape. Since you are sticking it on the side of the cake, you would want to use something food safe for the template, such as parchment paper. One final note, I learned the hard way to cut out my letters on the surface they will be drying on, in my case parchment paper.
HTH

You can see examples of each in my pics- see cupcakes and cheetah cake.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 5

thanks for the responses! Should I lightely shortening the wax/parchment for easy removal of the royal icing? should the royal be thinned/run or full strength?

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:15am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama2010

I would pipe royal onto waxed paper and let it dry, then attach it with royal, as well. And, you could print the monogram in the style/size you want online and set it under the wax paper and pipe over it. Just a thought...

I have done exactly this - just remember to check out the size before you do the transfer to make sure it will look like you want it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%