To Sift Or Not To Sift...

Baking By caked4life Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 3:26am by indydebi

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 5

Do you sift your powdered sugar when making B/C or dump it directly out the bag and into your bowl/mixer?

4 replies
jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 5

I do NOT sift, no..just as long as you mix your b/c for awhile to make sure it's no longer lumpy and all is incorporated well. I mix my b/c for like min. 5-10 min to be sure.

If you want to sift,,it would be better, but I hate sifting honestly. Haven't found a good sifter for my hands. That's up to you..

Saffire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saffire Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 5

For buttercream, we've tried sifting and not sifting and I think we get better results with sifting... I, however, DO NOT LIKE to sift... a childhood of sifting with one of those squeezy contraptions makes my hands hurt to this day. I use a strainer and a wooden spoon to sift (I add in the sugar and stir it, mash it and tap the strainer to recenter the sugar in the strainer)... takes less time, saves my hands and eliminates a uni-tasker from my little kitchen lol...

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:54am
post #4 of 5

If the bag has not been opened before, I skip the sifting. If it's been opened, I sift because moisture has had a chance to get in there and create clumps.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:26am
post #5 of 5

I sift. A couple of times I was in a hurry and just dumped it in and was very disappointed. It wasn't the same creamy smoothness I'd gotten used to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%