Choc Scrolls On Buttercream

Decorating By rhopar33 Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 1:22pm by sugarprincess

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:30am
post #1 of 6

Can you pipe tempured chocolate scrolls on buttercream? What about royal icing scrolls on buttercream?

Thanks,
Rhonda

5 replies
sugarprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarprincess Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:39am
post #2 of 6

Yes, you can pipe tempered chocolate scrolls on buttercream.

But the royal icing might break down from the fat in the buttercream.

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:29pm
post #3 of 6

OK, thanks. How do you temper chocolate?

sugarprincess Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 6

I think that for what you will be doing you can use a quick-tempering method. There are a few different methods you can try.

A:

Remove the chocolate from the heat source before it has fully melted and stir until fully melted and cool and take the temperature of the chocolate with a chocolate thermometer or a very accurate instant read thermometer. The working temperature should be

Dark chocolate - 88 to 91 degrees F.
Milk chocolate - 84 to 87 degrees F
White chocolate - 84 to 87 degrees F.

or

B:

Reserve a large 2 to 3 inch piece of chocolate. Melt the chocolate to 115 to 120 degrees F, remove from the heat source and add the reserved chocolate. Stir until the correct temperature has been reached and remove the left over reserved chocolate. You can wrap this chocolate in plastic wrap to be used for future tempering.

or

C:

Chop or grate chocolate, reserving about 1/3. Heat the rest of the chocolate to 115 degrees F. to 120 degrees F. and remove from the heat. Stir in the reserved chocolate, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until it is cooled to the proper temperature.

The best method for melting chocolate is using a bain marie. This will help prevent burning or scortching the chocolate. Make sure that your bowl that contains the chocolate does not touch the water underneath. The water should be hot but not simmering or boiling. You can use the microwave, but you must melt the chocolate in short intervals and mix the chocolate very well in between to prevent burning.

You could also use Merkens chocolate or wilton candy melts, both of which do not require tempering.

Hope this helps you out.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 6

With royal icing scrolls, I have piped directly on the cake and nothing happened. Lately, I have been piping the scrolls on wax paper, let dry on round cake pans or round cake dummies the size of the cake I needed and then placed them on the buttercream or fondant cake. For hexagon or square cakes, I just let them dry flat then peeled the wax paper off and placed on cakes. HTH
Hamsquad

sugarprincess Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 6

That is good to know! I always thought that royal icing and buttercream are a bad combination because the fat in the buttercream would dissolve the royal icing.

Thank-you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%