Airbrush Practice

Decorating By Shumab02 Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 3:55pm by ibmoser

Shumab02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shumab02 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 9:38am
post #1 of 4

I really want to get an airbrush but it's not feasible at this time. Last night my husband comes in from the garage with a brand new in the box airbrush that has never been used. He got it years ago from his father. My question is can I use it? Everything is still in the wrappers so I know that it has never been used. I would need to get the compressor and the colors but I don't want to waste my money if it won't work. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

3 replies
jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 10:39am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumab02

I really want to get an airbrush but it's not feasible at this time. Last night my husband comes in from the garage with a brand new in the box airbrush that has never been used. He got it years ago from his father. My question is can I use it? Everything is still in the wrappers so I know that it has never been used. I would need to get the compressor and the colors but I don't want to waste my money if it won't work. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

im not sure about alot of other airbrushes but I use a gravity feed airbush looks like this... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001L4S3KS/?tag=cakecentral-20 that i bought at a hobby store(it was meant for small model cars and planes) and it works great. I mix my gel colors with vodka and put it in the feeder...it takes a little bit to find out what psi setting on the compressor works for you (usually between 9 and 12psi for me)
if getting a compressor from a hobby shop, just check on the return policies, buy a 2 dollar gel color, and buy a small bottle of vodka...that way you can experiment and if you dont like it, you can take the compressor back and your only out like 10 bucks or so...hope this helps

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 4

It should work as long as it is new...I wouldn't suggest however that you use gel colors mixed with vodka except if you are in a pinch..That is a sure way to clog an airbrush and it is very tedious and time consuming to pull apart and clean.Purchase the Airbrush colors which are formulated for an airbrush and don't contain tiny particles which can clog an airbrush that gel colors contain.Practice is key...Get used to the tip,holding it,PSI etc...I have had mine for several years and use it for almost every cake and I still have days where I stink!!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 4

If new, it should work. Check out a decent but inexpensive compressor at Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-eighth-hp-40-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-93657.html

Bronwen Weber recommended a similar compressor in an airbrush class I took with her and actually used Harbor Freight compressors for the students that didn't bring their own.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%