Returning Plates/pillars

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 8:00am by noahsmummy

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 9

I have YET to receive my plates from a June 26th wedding & I have yet to receive my plates & pillars back from an August 7th wedding. I'm not too worried about the June 26th one since it was only one "plate" and I doubt I'll ever use it again but the August one was 3 plates & most of my crystal pillars. I haven't heard a WORD from them yet even after emailing them and politely asking them. I'm not sure what to do... I have it in my contract but I'm not a legal business so I really hate to "threaten" them with anything but I still really want my stuff back. This is why I am finished making cakes for other people. I have lost so many things from borrowing them out to people.

8 replies
sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 9

When my customer pays for the cake, they also pay a depost down on the items that need to be returned. I call this the stand deposit. They receive a full refund of the stand deposit if all the items are returned, on time, and clean. I make the deposit large enough that it is fully worth their time to get it all back to me on time.
Since I've been collecting stand deposit for years.... I guess I can't be of much help to you. Hope you get it all back.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 9

did you get a deposit on the equipment? Typically the deposit is large enough to cover any replacement of the items if they're not returned to you.

if you don't currently charge a deposit or "rental" on the items i would definitely do it.

mommabuda Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 9

No, unfortunately I don't do this... never had a problem till now. I will be doing that if I ever take up the hobby again. Thanks.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 9

I'd either charge a deposit amount, or figure the cost of replacement into the cake price.

Chances are if they haven't replied and the cakes were from 3 months ago, the pieces you are missing are probably ended up in the trash or lost. icon_sad.gif

mommabuda Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 9

I know that the one from 3 months ago still has them so I'm not worried about that. She just went through a miscarriage so I'm not about to bother her about a measley cake plate. I'm worried about the others though.

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 9

That's why you don't offer anything that has to be returned in the first place. They can rent their own stands from a party supply or rentalplace, or you can move to SPS and work it into the cost of the cake. I don't have the patience to keep track of stupid pillars and crap like that.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:24am
post #8 of 9

I made my friend rent the fountain, plates and pillars so that she was responsible for returning them to the cake shop. I to had this problem years ago. A lady I worked with wanted a two tier cake for her grand daughter. I never saw my plates or pillars again.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:00am
post #9 of 9

im a hobby baker and i made my friends 21st cake as her gift, put it on my ONE AND ONLY cake stand, and have never seen it again. I did ask her for it back, she apparently thought it was the restaurants, even thought i had specifically said it was mine and that i would pick it up later on in the week. I even asked a friend to remind her after i left because I had to leave the party early.. was not happy!

NO MORE CAKE FOR YOU!

getting sick of being taken advantage of. I make cake for friends as birthday gifts, but lately i think im being taken for a ride from alot of them. so, im following the advice of so many ccer's .. NO MORE CAKE FOR THEM! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%