Oh Geez Only Me Plz Help!!!

Baking By Erlyns_Treats Updated 3 Jul 2015 , 1:51am by Pastrybaglady

Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 6:50am
post #1 of 21

So i made 3 seperate batches of the "no fail cookies " yes 3 batches and they are very very dry im not sure whether to add water or mix in more butter??? any advice??? icon_sad.gif

20 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 21

I really hate this recipe for that very reason that the dough is too crumbly so I always add water a little at a time another cc'er also told me to microwave it for a few secs which also works.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 21

I don't like the NFSC recipe. I rely on Penney McConnell's recipe. She owned Penney's Pastries in Austin and her recipe is great. The cookies don't spread out when baking, and keep a nice, flat top. If interested in the recipe, PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 21

Sorry, I'm not yelling, but after I typed in response, I realized that my caps lock was on and I so don't want to tetype it.Sorry
I'VE USED THE NFSC MANY TIMES AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE DOUGH BEING TOO DRY; ONE TIME IT WAS TOO SOFT, BUT THAT OF COURSE WAS THE TIME I HAD MY DD HELPING ME MEASURE.LOL

Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 21

Thanks for all the responses ill have to try the microwave thing and if not try some butter icon_smile.gif

joquita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joquita Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 21

My very first batch turned out dry and crumbly as well. then, I read a suggestion to spoon the flour into the measuring cup instead of scooping it out of the bag (which is what I was doing b/c I've never baked before and had no idea!). When I was scooping it out of the bag, it was hard to get a full scoop so I was digging the measuring cup down in there and it was packing the flour really tightly. When I tried spooning it in, I used much less flour and it turned out perfectly!
That doesn't really help you with this batch that you are trying to fix, but thought I'd mention it for future batches. icon_smile.gif If you're doing this already, just ignore me! icon_smile.gif

azlorri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azlorri Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 21

Every batch of NFSC I've made has turned out great...but I never measure ingredients; I only go by weight. You might try using a kitchen scale instead of a measuring cup. It works wonders for me.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 21

I agree with Joquita. The recipe is awesome, but a few factors really make a difference:

-the flour should be weighed. The scoop is NOT accurate. I weigh each cup of all-purpose flour at 150 grams.

-the butter should be room temp, not cold at all. Warm butter mixes and blends much better and you'll notice a smoother, softer dough as a result. If you can't push your finger or a knife easily through the butter, it's not room temperature! Throw it in the microwave for a few seconds. (I warm 1 whole pound, unwrapped, right out of the fridge for 30 seconds in the microwave and it's perfectly softened.)

-the dough isn't mixed for long enough. After the last of the dry ingredients are added, it takes about 30-45 seconds of mixing with the paddle attachment of the mixer on the lowest speed before the NFSC dough is smooth/forms a ball in the mixer/comes clean from the sides of the bowl. Until those 3 things happen, let it keep mixing!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:19pm
post #10 of 21

I scoop my flour out of the bag and place it in a large bowl. I then add my boking powder. I mix the two together and then when it is time to add it to the mixer, I measure each cup again. Seems I always have some lef tin the bowl, as in when I scooped the first time it was more than 6 cups. So you may be adding too much flower. Like the others stated, weigh it and I am sure you will be able to tell a huge difference! The only batch I have had fail me was the one that I didnt measure it a second time.

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

I don't like the NFSC recipe. I rely on Penney McConnell's recipe. She owned Penney's Pastries in Austin and her recipe is great. The cookies don't spread out when baking, and keep a nice, flat top. If interested in the recipe, PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.

Mac, thank you so much for the recipe!!!! I tried it and I LOVE IT, it's my new favorite! No more NFSC, yippee! LOL. I added some cocoa powder to the dough to and made chocolate ones as well. Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 10:44pm
post #12 of 21

[quote="tayesmama
Mac, thank you so much for the recipe!!!! I tried it and I LOVE IT, it's my new favorite! No more NFSC, yippee! LOL. I added some cocoa powder to the dough to and made chocolate ones as well. Thanks again. icon_smile.gif[/quote]

I really like the NFSC, but could you please tell me the difference in this and the one mentioned above? Taste-wise, I guess. TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

Mac Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 6:31am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollielor

[quote="tayesmama
Mac, thank you so much for the recipe!!!! I tried it and I LOVE IT, it's my new favorite! No more NFSC, yippee! LOL. I added some cocoa powder to the dough to and made chocolate ones as well. Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

I really like the NFSC, but could you please tell me the difference in this and the one mentioned above? Taste-wise, I guess. TIA! icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Penney McConnell's recipe does not have to be chilled before using; however, it does just as well if it is and it also freezes well. The taste and texture are great. Like stated before, these cookies don't distort, spread out or puff up. This is just my opinion.

I have tried the No Fail's and had a problem with the dough crumbling. Of course, I didn't weigh my ingredients, only measured.

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 11:09pm
post #14 of 21

Anyway I can get the recipe, Mac?! Like I said, I do like the NFSC's, but those are the first DECORATED sugar cookies that I've tried, and don't want to be missing out on a great one if I pass it up! Please!

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:40am
post #15 of 21

Please don't keep it a secret, Mac. May I have it as well, or will you post it in the recipe section? Thanks!

beckah78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckah78 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 2:04pm
post #16 of 21

I really love the NFSC recipe! It has always come out perfect for me.
But, I would also like to have this other recipe-just to try out! Thanks!

Mac Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:05pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymike

Please don't keep it a secret, Mac. May I have it as well, or will you post it in the recipe section? Thanks!

Ladymike--
As much as I would like to post it in the recipe section, the recipe is not mine. It is Penney McConnell's. I received it at ICES last year. I did write to ask her if I could share it with others and she said "yes" but I didn't ask about posting it publicly. So send email address to me and I will get it out as soon as possible.

I have received quite a few requests so it may take a day or two.

Pam

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 12:49pm
post #18 of 21

Thanks Pam. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back with you. icon_redface.gif I have since received Penney's recipe from another source. Thanks for your generosity and I admire you for respecting the feelings of others. icon_smile.gif

Miquel

rlopezca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlopezca Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 12:41am
post #19 of 21

can I get Penneys recipe as well please?

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 12:58am
post #20 of 21

Quote by @Mac on 20 Jan 2007 , 12:41pm

Is it this recipe?  http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/penny%E2%80%99s-cookies

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 1:51am
post #21 of 21

This thread is 8 years old!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%