How To Build Up A London Bus Cake?

Decorating By Carlascakes1977 Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 8:37pm by Carlascakes1977

Carlascakes1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlascakes1977 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:59am
post #1 of 4

I'm only a hobby cake maker and been tasked to make a London bus cake (not a shape I have ever done before). Obviously its a tall narrow cake, whats the best way to stack and cover with red fondant?
I'll be making it with madeira cake, not sure what you'd call that type over there, maybe pound cake? its a dense vanilla/butter sponge.

Sorry but I'm from the UK and found quite a few differences in what you call things and they way you make things. I watch Ace of Cakes and Duff all the time so I'm trying to learn lol icon_wink.gif

3 replies
kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 4

I would use a loaf pan and stack 4+ so layers to get that the tall rectangle shape. Carve a bit off the top edges to get the rounded bus look and carve a bit out of the middle front section to get the hood and windshield shape. It's similar to a fire truck, so you can google fire engine cake instructions for help on the basic structure and making windshields and windows and such. Would the top of your bus be open like a sightseeing bus or covered/enclosed like a typical bus?

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 4

If you need the "footprint" of the cake to be larger than what loafpan would give you then you can use sheet cakes that you cut and stack. Just make sure you use some dowels through the whole height of the cake, being tall and narrow it will be more likely to topple over.

Carlascakes1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlascakes1977 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks, I've looked it up and got a few different ways to try it! Should be interesting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%