Can I Check Out A Bridal Show?

Business By Tellis12 Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 5:11pm by costumeczar

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:20am
post #1 of 10

I was invited to be part of a local bridal show but declined because I didn't have time to prepare for it. I was wondering if it would be alright if I just went to check it out because I think I'd like to participate next time. I would like to know what the other cake vendors are like so I have an idea what to do for the next show. Would it be weird if I went? Do you think it matters?

9 replies
quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:34am
post #2 of 10

I don't think it would be weird, I'd go if I were you.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:47am
post #3 of 10

I think that a lot of people who go to bridal shows are doing just that. I know that I have!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 10

Oh sure, I've done that. Just pay your admission at the door, and walk around. Also, eat samples. Your daughter/friend/neighbor is getting married (wink, wink) and sent you to gather info.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 10

I've gone to bridal shows before, but I just go introduce myself to the other cake vendors. They'll find out who you are eventually, so why not?

Do NOT hand out any of your own business cards, they'll not be happy with that, but do take information from other vendors then get in touch with any that you spoke to, just to say hello and nice to meet you. If they seem very busy with brides don't take up much of their time, just contact them later to say hi.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 10

I participate in our area shows but, I like to go to other ones out of my area just to gather ideas...

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 10

Of course! If they charge admission, sometimes they'll waive it for you if you tell them you are a vendor considering renting a booth in their next show.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 10

Absolutely! I didn't participate in our August show but I went to meet other vendors. Once the runway show starts, the vendors slow down, so I went and introduced myself and got their information. I had cards with me if they asked for one, but I was extremely discreet. I made some great contacts that day and that are already reaping benefits.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you all for your responses! Sorry I was a bit slow to get back on here. It's been one of those insane weeks! I think I'm going to go. I'm taking my family, I think, because admission to the bridal show includes admission to our local aquarium, where the event is being held. It never even occurred to me to hand out business cards, though I'm glad someone pointed out that's not a good idea. I just want to see what kind of dummy cakes they have, what their tables look like, ect. I've heard people say that bridal shows are more about making connections than they are about actually getting bookings the day of.

Anyway, thanks again! I really appreciate it. Makes me feel a little less strange.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellis12

Thank you all for your responses! Sorry I was a bit slow to get back on here. It's been one of those insane weeks! I think I'm going to go. I'm taking my family, I think, because admission to the bridal show includes admission to our local aquarium, where the event is being held. It never even occurred to me to hand out business cards, though I'm glad someone pointed out that's not a good idea. I just want to see what kind of dummy cakes they have, what their tables look like, ect. I've heard people say that bridal shows are more about making connections than they are about actually getting bookings the day of.

Anyway, thanks again! I really appreciate it. Makes me feel a little less strange.

Just be discreet, because the people who have paid for booths can really start to get po'd when people who haven't paid start coming up to them and handing out business cards. I'd just introduce myself, take their information, and get in contact with them in the days following the show. At some shows handing out cards to anyone if you're not an exhibitor can get you thrown out of the show, and that wouldn't be a good way to introduce yourself to other vendors! I do agree that if you have some cards with you and another vendor asks you for one, you can discreetly give it to them, but don't offer it unless you're asked for it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%