Monogram Help

Decorating By laborrn2 Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 2:34pm by CakesbyCarla

laborrn2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laborrn2 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 4

I need to make a fondant monogram for a wedding cake. I have done monograms in the past, but the back always looks "messy". And how do you avoid having the "stick" show through your monogram as a bump in the fondant? The monogram will be a flat letter, not a rolled letter. HELLLP!! icon_confused.gif

3 replies
ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 4

Cut out two-one in reverse
attach flat toothpicks then cover with other letter.
Decorate with designs matching wedding cake-these will be at the bottom of the monogram.
Hope this helps.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

laborrn2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laborrn2 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, Chef Angie. Flat toothpicks, huh? Never thought of that! Do they make flat toothpicks that are longer? I'm afraid a few toothpicks won't go deep enough into the cake to stabilize the letter. The cake is being picked up, not delivered, and has to be transported about 90 minutes. I wanna make doggone sure the monogram is not going to topple in transit!! Maybe I'll use a little RI at the base and cover with decorations......

Kristin

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 4

You could always use wire. I used a trick I learned from someone else on here (sorry I can't remember who). You put your wire(s) into a drinking straw that you filled with melted white chocolate (I used almond bark and it worked just fine).

Then you let that chocolate set up nice and hard and you stick that straw into the cake. Just make sure you wire isn't longer than the bottom of the straw and you cover all the wire inside the straw with the melted chocolate. Just an idea...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%