Freezing Cookies In Bags?

Baking By CookieMeister Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 2:59pm by Jeannem

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:25am
post #1 of 8

I have a huge event coming up next weekend. I baked and decorated 150 cookies today and that's just the beginning!

I'll be bagging these cookies individually and tying with ribbon.

I usually freeze my cookies, but not AFTER they've been bagged. It would really help me out to get the bagging done with early, but I'm concerned about condensation when I thaw them out. Anybody ever freeze after bagging?

Btw, these are NFSC covered in MMF with a very small RI embellishment.

Thanks

7 replies
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:36am
post #2 of 8

Hi Cookie Meister, I have frozen in a cello bag, only a couple of times,

I have always read and been told that if they have been frozen they must defrost in the bag they were in, so there is no condensation effect. So this should work for your situation. It did for my couple. Plus if you can, they ask that you put them in a container or zip lock bag as well. but
I have been too much of a scaredy cat to try it with large numbers of cookies incase something went wrong.....

also what worries me is the dark colours, I am always worried that the colours might go funny on them.??? maybe someone else might have both the answers for us.

Freezer burn also worries me !

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:45am
post #3 of 8

Could you try freezing just one, overnight and see what happens?

CookieMeister Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

Could you try freezing just one, overnight and see what happens?

Great minds think alike, because that is exactly what i did last night! I'm going to pull it out after work and see what happens. If I get condensation, I'll freeze them as I usually do. If I don't, I'll bag them, and freeze them in an airtight container.

I'll report back!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 8

would love to know the outcome. i've frozen cookies completely decorated but never in their packaging for the same reasons as you.

nickdrewnjaysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickdrewnjaysmom Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:38am
post #6 of 8

Hi..
I freeze all the time in bags. I bag the cookie, and tie the bag with a ribbon. Then I put all the bagged cookies in a plastic container, and put them in the freezer. The night before I need the cookies, I take the whole container out of the freezer, and leave it closed until the next morning. Then I open it, and the cookies are perfect!

HTH
JoAnn

CookieMeister Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdrewnjaysmom

Hi..
I freeze all the time in bags. I bag the cookie, and tie the bag with a ribbon. Then I put all the bagged cookies in a plastic container, and put them in the freezer. The night before I need the cookies, I take the whole container out of the freezer, and leave it closed until the next morning. Then I open it, and the cookies are perfect!

HTH
JoAnn

Thanks JoAnn! That's what I've done. I took the one out of the freezer last night, and it defrosted perfectly. So i bagged them and put them in "lasagna pans" - aluminum foil pans with plastic lids and put them in the freezer. I'm going to take them out Friday night and let them defrost overnight for the event Saturday.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 8

I've frozen bagged cookies for days, weeks and months without a problem. Never ever had a problem, not matter how I defrosted them. Just make sure they are dry before you pack them--I leave them out overnight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%