Smooth Fondant

Decorating By ibiwrr Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 4:40pm by imagenthatnj

ibiwrr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibiwrr Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone - I am enjoying working with MMF but have encountered some minor issues. Although it looks great and smooth when I first roll it out and then apply it to my cakes, after a little while it no longer appears smooth and small imperfections begin to take shape. Is there a trick to ensuring the MMF remains smooth after application?

Thank you for any tips/tricks for working with MMF!

2 replies
emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 3

The thing about fondant is that it takes the shape of absolutely everything underneath it. So although it looks smooth initially, as it weighs itself down and starts "relaxing", any little imperfections in your crumbcoat come out (or any settling your cakes haven't previously done). The key to perfect fondant is a good crumb coat (not that I always get the perfect crumbcoat I want, hehe, but that is still the key).

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 3

Emiyeric is right. Whatever imperfections your cake has underneath, that's what your fondant will end up showing at the end.

I started checking out what people use under besides buttercream and have found out that a lot of people are using ganache because it's a smooth surface under your fondant.

Here's a good blog with instructions on how to do that if you choose to go that way:

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/05/covering-cake-in-ganache.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%