Help With Sure Cuts A Lot Please

Decorating By maude Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 1:31pm by psmith

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 9

I have SCAL and installed inkscape. I can not for the life of me figure out to convert JPEG images to SVG. Can anyone help with this please before I loose my sanity? I need to convert a scroll image so that I can try to cut it out with my cricut. TIA

8 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 3:01am
post #2 of 9

I used a black and white damask image to do the following:

In Inkscape, open jpg file. Select image. Under PATH, click trace image. In the box, use Edge Detection, increase threshold, then click Preview. Increase threshold or adjust as needed to get good outlines. Click OK. Move selected image away from center, and you should see your outline underneath. Delete the selected image, leaving just the outline image.

Now, go to Save As... Name the file. In the Save As Type box, click on the arrow, and select "Plain .svg" Then save.

You should now be able to open this in SCAL, and proceed to make your cricut files.

HTH.

maude Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:52am
post #3 of 9

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

maude Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 9

Frustrated still. I can't get it to work. I can't get a clean edge. Is there another way to convert a JPEG file to SVG? Anyone have any other advice?

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:22am
post #5 of 9

The only way I've successfully converted jpg to svg was to use Inkscape and then import into SCAL. You can find a free download of Inkscape on the net. I try to avoid this because I use a mac and have to run inkscape in parallels and then move it over to SCAL which I run in mac environment.

You might give Inkscape a go. Sounds like that is what will help you out. Good luck and let us know how it works. icon_smile.gif

maude Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:21am
post #6 of 9

psmith, I do have inkscape but can't figure out how to convert. Can you explain?

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:37am
post #7 of 9

I have that program too and I still cannot get it to work correctly!!
I finally gave up. Hope you have better luck at it than I did.

Macgirl1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Macgirl1954 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 9

You also might like to try Vector Magic, an online bitmap to vector convertor. It can save the converted image as SVG for use in Inkscape. I find with many images Vector Magic does a better job than Inkscape and even commercial products.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 9

This is how I convert jpg or gif to svg using Inkscape.

1. Open Inkscape.
2. Import jpg file into Inkscape.
3. Click on the image to select it.
4. Go to Path then select Trace Bitmap then select Colors box and hit OK. (it may seem like it didn't do anything but it does, just close the 'path' window to regain access to the image window).
5. Back at the selected image screen save the file as a plain svg (this is a drop down option).
6. Open SCAL and click the 'SVG button' and find your new saved svg image.

Hope this helps! Let me know if it worked for you. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%