Luster Dust Disaster... :(

Decorating By Calgary_Mama Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 4:31pm by Calgary_Mama

Calgary_Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calgary_Mama Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 10:24am
post #1 of 8

So in making a ladybug cake for a little girls 4th birthday, I was putting on lusterdust (silver) and omg now the cake looks completely FILTHY!!!!! ALL around her name... The rest of it went pretty decent... but what the heck?! I have no idea what to do, I tried using different brushes with different stiffness to the bristles.... nothing worked icon_sad.gif
Any suggestions? How can I make it so this doesn't happen again? Frig... like 6 hours I feel is gone down the drain now icon_sad.gif
I'm worried that the customer will be disappointed in this cake.

I have been trying to upload the pics... but it doesn't want me to. So I will post them in my photos... it'll be the pink ladybug cake (for full view) and then I will post a closeup of the messed up name. icon_sad.gif

7 replies
soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 11:05am
post #2 of 8

Is the luster dust painted on with vodka? It's a little difficult to tell in the photo. I am certainly not an expert, but the other day I added a little too much luster dust, (painted on) cause the vodka kept dissolving. Even after it was applied to the cake I painted straight vodka on, and swirled it around on the fondant to move the dried luster dust around. It helped to thin it out a bit and make it a little even looking on the cake. I hope someone else has some good advice for you, this was just my last minute desperate fix!

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 11:09am
post #3 of 8

Could there have been left over shortening on the fondant from being rolled out? I'm wondering if the dust was attracted to that and made it look splotchy. I would either try dusting with cornstarch and then wiping away or go the other direction and try cleaning with vodka. Try small test patches in out of the way places to see what happens. Good luck!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 11:33am
post #4 of 8

Haven't seen the photos sorry, but I would apply a plaque or fondant 'ribbon banner' where you've messed up the luster dust, and write the name/message on that.

I have had issues with it in the past too - especially on dark fondant cakes! I think its a veg. fat issue in the fondant.

HTH icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 11:39am
post #5 of 8

Do you have a steamer? I think if you steamed it it would help give it a more even look, and you won't notice the splotches of luster dust. So sorry icon_sad.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 11:54am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Haven't seen the photos sorry, but I would apply a plaque or fondant 'ribbon banner' where you've messed up the luster dust, and write the name/message on that.

HTH icon_smile.gif

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 8

It's still a really cute cake BTW icon_smile.gif

Calgary_Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calgary_Mama Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

It's still a really cute cake BTW icon_smile.gif

thanks icon_smile.gif

thank you all for your suggestions... I put it on dry... perhaps its a fat issue...I will try to remember this for next time.
I am worried, because my customer is paying $150 for this cake,and I want to make sure its worth it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%