Ok So I Made White Chocolate Ganache...

Decorating By eve81 Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 7:26am by eve81

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 9:25am
post #1 of 13

I'm going to use it on my son's first birthday cake and it's been sitting wrapped since yesterday (took cakes out of the freezer last night)
Now do I put a coat of ganache on and leave it til tonight to apply the fondant? (its currently 10am) or put 2 coats on now? I'm not planning on using it as a filling because I want to use a light buttercream but can I use it as a dam? or will I have to make a stiff buttercream for that?

I've read through a few ganache threads (even a really long one that I gave up on at page 22 with a severe headache icon_rolleyes.gif ) but I'm still not clear on a few of the details so please forgive me if these Qs have been asked and answered a thousand times icon_redface.gif

I've put so much effort and time into this cake (with figures) I just want it to look perfect which is why im trying out the ganache for smoothness under fondant rather than a bc)

12 replies
melave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melave Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 11:19am
post #2 of 13

hi eve

when i do my cakes i put the ganache in the microwave for maybe 20 seconds?? Just until it is a bit softer. Smooth it over the cake (i like it quite thick) leave it for about half an hour and then hot knife it to get it smooth. i usually wait at least a couple of hours and then cover in fondant. i don't do 2 coats

you probably could use it as a dam but as i have never really filled a cake with anything but ganache i am not too sure.

sorry i can't be more help but i am sure someone with more experience will come along soon icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 11:29am
post #3 of 13

If your cold (room temp) ganache is the consistency of thick peanut butter, then it is fine to use as a dam! Don't bother making a separate firm BC, as ganache will work just as good, if not better.

I only use one thick layer of this peanut butter consistency ganache on my cakes. And you will be able to get it smooth enough for your fondant without using a hot knife, but it doesn't harm the ganache to do this as the previous poster said.

The best thing about ganache is you can get suck perfect lines and then use only the minimum thickness of fondant to create a beautiful surface on your fondant.

Good luck - can't to see the result!! icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 11:30am
post #4 of 13

O forgot to mention - let the ganache layer sit overnight to firm up. Then before you apply your fondant, very lightly mist your ganache with water for the fondant to adhere to.

eve81 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 13

Hi! Thanks to both of you icon_smile.gif

I was on a bit of a timeline because I knew the ganache would need to set on the cake so I went on ahead and made a stiff buttercream for the dam. But I finished putting on the ganache about half an hour or so ago and OMG. love it! so so pretty icon_smile.gif
Lucky for me my DH listens to my whining and came home yesterday with a wide paint/wallpaper scrapper which was a dream to use with the ganache.
Not sure how it's going to taste on an entire cake so the proof will be in the eating but it was incredibly easy to work with. the consistency was perfect, like a thick peanut butter and I only used "cheap" white chocolate that I found in the supermarket so I'm pleased about the cost too. ( I had a more expensive luxury bar of white choc in the house which I tasted in comparison with the cheaper version and I found little difference?!? I suppose white chocolate is more user friendly that way.)
I would rather put the fondant on tonight because the party is tomorrow and I'll be too busy to worry about getting the cake right but it should have a good 8 hours to set beforehand which is just as good as overnight really?

So excited. This will be the first cake I've ever made for one of my own kids because I only started my new hobby in April icon_smile.gif How proud will I be in years to come and look back at my kids cakes and say, "yeah, I made those.......!" icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 13

Hey, well done Eve!! I do quite a few carved 3D and 2D cakes and have always used ganache under fondant for those. Because we get orders for mudcakes in Australia most of the time its a perfect match - ganache and mudcake! Yum! Its only been in the past 2 years that I have pretty much made it a standard feature on all my cake orders, even plain round mudcakes. It allows me to apply LESS fondant, and that, plus the ganache layer makes for a better-tasting cake overall, IMO. Now I make many different flavours of ganache depending on the cake variety (eg caramel chocolate ganache for caramel mudcakes). When I have the rare mudcake that needs a filling, I will whip the cold ganache and use THAT for a filling - its divine also. You can pipe it on the top and sides as it is a contrasting lighter colour.

I have also found it makes little difference using a cheaper commercial white chocolate to say Lindt or Callebaut. Once you start making oodles of cakes, you'll be buying the stuff in big boxes icon_wink.gif

Will you post a pic of your completed cake?

eve81 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 13

I sure will. Will be finished either tonight or tomorrow morning icon_smile.gif
In the meantime this is the ganached cake
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1812404&done=1
I uploaded it to my photos lol (can you tell I'm excited!)
I know it's not perfect compared to ones i've seen on here but it's the best foundation I've ever had personally for applying my fondant.

Thanks so much for your help and words of encouragement. It really means a lot!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 13

Are the "rules" the same for white ganache and dark ganache?

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 13

I have used ganache a couple of times but I poured it over cakes. If I let it cool down and use it when it is the consistency of peanut butter will it harden the same as if I poured it? I want the hard shell effect, it is easier to apply fondant to, without the mess of pouring ganache.

~Kim

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:40pm
post #10 of 13

Poured ganache and spreadable ganache are not the same. The pourable ganache generally has more cream, and maybe other ingredients than the spreadable ganache.

For forming and holding sharp edges and on contoured cakes, spreadable ganache is the ultimate. The basic recipe for chocolate is 2 parts chocolate to 1 part heavy whipping cream. For white chocolate use 3 parts chocolate to 1 part heavy whipping cream. You must measure using weight, not volume. There are lots of posts out there describing the procedure.

I like to use ganache as a filling, but frequently spread a thicker layer of buttercream over the top of it. The ganache adds a lot of flavor to the cake.

melave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melave Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 13

Hi Eve

looked at your cake and it looks good!! thumbs_up.gif Can't wait to see the final product

eve81 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 5:58pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you Melave! Unfortunately it's gone missing from my pics. You must have just seen it in time icon_wink.gif

Oh well. I have the real mccoy still here so thats a plus icon_smile.gif

eve81 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:26am
post #13 of 13

This is the final result!
i'm pretty pleased with myself icon_smile.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1813135

Will definitely be using the ganache again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%