Oh No! Any Other Wilton Colorings Taste As Bad As The Pink!?

Decorating By lizzycakes Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 9:47pm by DSmo

lizzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzycakes Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:59am
post #1 of 6

PLEASE tell me I havent been giving people disgusting cakes!! haha I have only actually TASTED 2 out of (about) 10 cakes that I have made. and one of them had AMERICOLOR on it, so it was fine. I just give them away as I am just practicing, but WOW does the Wilton pink coloring taste GROSS!. I put it in some candy melts for piping words and got quite the shocker when I ate one of the letters!

Before buying the pink last week, I had been using No-taste red, but it doesnt achieve the vibrant pink I like.

Do any of the other Wilton colors taste this gross??

Oh my, I tried searching for this question but only got back that everyone prefers Americolor. I have only been making cakes for just over a month, but I have collected quite an extensive array of colors (ok, well maybe like 15-20) and I don't really want to throw them all away

Ok, also aside from which Wilton colors taste gross, any of the Americolors taste bad so I can steer clear in the future??

(In case you guys know which of these I should toss out, I have Wilton: Black, Brown, Orange, No-Taste Red, Pink, Royal Blue, Sky blue, Puke Green (something like that), teal.... and some others that slip my mind

Americolors: Electric purple, Violet, Electric Pink, Electric yellow, leaf green

5 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:03am
post #2 of 6

The only color I have heard people complain about was the red red. So I always use the no taste red. I also prefer Americolor.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:04am
post #3 of 6

Forgot to add. You should be using candy coloring for chocolate not gel colors used to color butter cream.

lizzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzycakes Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:58am
post #4 of 6

Ok, do you think that had anything to do with it picking up too much of the taste? If not, and it is for other reasons (like maybe messing up the consistency) it worked fine but all I needed to do was pipe out a 4 letter name onto a gumpaste name tag (the gift cake in my pis) they weren't going to eat that anyway (wilton gumpaste smells of spit and babywipes to me)

but if i plan on making chocolate pops or something I will keep this in mind.

tmdoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmdoxie Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:14am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzycakes

Ok, do you think that had anything to do with it picking up too much of the taste? If not, and it is for other reasons (like maybe messing up the consistency) it worked fine but all I needed to do was pipe out a 4 letter name onto a gumpaste name tag (the gift cake in my pis) they weren't going to eat that anyway (wilton gumpaste smells of spit and babywipes to me)
but if i plan on making chocolate pops or something I will keep this in mind.

That has to be one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 6

With the exception of Wilton's No Taste Red, all red, pink and purple colors I have used have a bad taste (unless you use only a tiny bit for pale pastel color). I have used Wilton, AmeriColor and Country Kitchen colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%