How To Get Smooth Sides... With Fondant And Bc

Decorating By SarahsSweets2006 Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 2:19am by KrazyKakesNJ

SarahsSweets2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahsSweets2006 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:03am
post #1 of 3

Hello all-

I am getting super frustrated. I have probably done about 100+cakes and it feels like I am not improving with my BC (and fondant). My fondant STILL bubbles and if someone ever ordered a plain cake without decorations, I would be in trouble... no decorations to hide the ugly bubbles. And then there's my BC. I watched a video on how to make it super smooth... well, mine looks like crap and it's due on Sun. I am going to try to let it dry and smooth it out with either paper towel or a piece of parchment but I am extremely embarrassed by it. I see so many cakes on here that look PERFECT and I am wondering when I am going to be able to do it. (sigh). I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any advice would be wonderful!

2 replies
VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:18am
post #2 of 3

I usually work with BC, fondant usually only accents. I suggest a really good crusting BC and use Melvira's roller method for smoothing. IMO, it works better than anything else to smooth BC. I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe, it is a great crusting and wonderful tasting. HTH.

KrazyKakesNJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKakesNJ Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:19am
post #3 of 3

I have the same issues. I have made over 80 cakes and still come across the issues. Getting my buttercream as smooth and straight as possible has been helping including using a sturdy cake board....I dont know how others do it but my cakes come out horrible when I use regular cake boards.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%