White Chocolate Cake

Baking By Allison_M Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 9:42pm by KJ62798

Allison_M Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allison_M Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:31am
post #1 of 17

I have this amazing idea, my boyfriend is a Starbucks nut and loves Iced White Mocha's he drinks them every day. I want to make a White Mocha Chocolate cake. I have yet to find a good white chocolate cake recipe, or even better a white chocolate mocha cake. Any idea's on how to achieve this? icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:41am
post #2 of 17

I'm going to be playing around with this over the weekend. I do a mocha cake w/white cake mix, choco pudding & espresso. I picked up white chocolate pudding so I'm going to try that this weekend. It's experiment time!

Kristy

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:01am
post #3 of 17

wow.. that sound good . i will be look for your post.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:17am
post #4 of 17
All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 17

White Chocolate Mocha WASC - 2 boxes white cake mix, 2 c. flour, 2 c. sugar, 2 pkgs. SF instant white chocolate pudding, 11/2 t. salt, 2 c.sour cream, 1/2 c oil, 2 c. white chocolate mocha coffee creamer, 2/3 c. coffee, cooled, 8 egg whites, 4 t.vanilla, 1 12 oz bag white chocolate chips, melted and cooled before being added. 325 until set in the middle.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 17

wow!! This sounds really good.. might have to try this one!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 17

Could you buy an Iced White Mocha from Starbucks, and substitute it for the liquid in a white cake mix?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 17

This one has been on my list of recipes to try...it's similar to the one All4Show posted above (halved)...it calls for 1-1/4 c of White Chocolate Mocha coffee creamer (Internation Delight)

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15190/white-velvet-cake

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 17

I don't know. I tried a cake using the liquid flavored coffee creamer and it was the most awful thing I ever tasted. I'd just use coffee and the melted white chocolate. The idea to use an actual Starbuck's drink might work, too.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

This one has been on my list of recipes to try...it's similar to the one All4Show posted above (halved)...it calls for 1-1/4 c of White Chocolate Mocha coffee creamer (Internation Delight)

This is the recipe I have used and was really good. I might have to add some white choco chips to the batter

I recently tried the mudslide flavored creamer...not very good IMO.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

This is the recipe I have used and was really good. I might have to add some white choco chips to the batter

I recently tried the mudslide flavored creamer...not very good IMO.

KJ62798 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 9:58pm
post #12 of 17

Experiments on-going today.

Vanilla Latte--Fr. Vanilla mix, SF Fr. Van pudding, 3/4c oil, 1/4c hot water w/espresso powder dissolved in it (used 1tbls, should have done 2) 1/2c milk, 4 eggs

Results: cake was very moist & tasty but the coffee flavor was very light. Impartial tasters were impressed but I think it needs more coffee to truely be a "latte" flavor.

White Chocolate--In the oven now
White cake mix, SF Wht Choco pudding, 3/4c oil, 1/8c SF Torani White Choco syrup + enough milk to = 3/4c total, 4 eggs

Batter tastes really good. Will be testing the cake itself in a while.

I'm thinking that the 3rd variation, if the basic white choco comes out good, will be to do that recipe and then pull out some batter to mix with espresso and then swirl that through like a marble cake.

Kristy

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 10:46pm
post #13 of 17

I have a friend that loves the Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks. I wanted to make a cupcake flavor to taste like it and found that adding a coffee flavored whipped cream filling did the trick. Steam your whipping cream with coffee beans (complimentary flavor) and let steep for about an hour. Do not stir as you don't want the beans to break apart. Pour through a wire mesh strainer so bits of beans don't go through. Chill the cream and then whip with a couple TBL of powdered sugar. Really delicous!
I made pumpkin spice cake, filled with the cream and iced with vanilla Bettercreme.
For the White Chocolate Mocha's I would just make a white chocolate cake and then fill with the coffee whipped cream. It's really hard to get the flavor of white chocolate to come out in a cake, I think. Maybe ice with a white chocolate Bettercreme. I use white chocolate Torani's syrup too for flavor.

I think KJ62798's 3rd version will be perfect. I like the idea of swirling the coffee flavored batter through it too!

KJ62798 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 11:21pm
post #14 of 17

Just tasted the White Chocolate----YUMMMMMMMMMM!

Very moist and tender, good flavor. I don't get a lot of white chocolate but I don't think white chocolate has a lot of flavor on it's own. The cake tastes rich.

I tasted it w/some raspberry cream cheese filling and that was really good. I have some spread w/dark chocolate ganache but I think it would be really good w/white choco ganache, maybe w/chopped macadamia nuts in it.

I think I'll try the mocha swirl version tomorrow. I think that's the best shot for getting the white mocha latte feel.

Kristy

Allison_M Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allison_M Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 1:28am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I have a friend that loves the Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks. I wanted to make a cupcake flavor to taste like it and found that adding a coffee flavored whipped cream filling did the trick. Steam your whipping cream with coffee beans (complimentary flavor) and let steep for about an hour. Do not stir as you don't want the beans to break apart. Pour through a wire mesh strainer so bits of beans don't go through. Chill the cream and then whip with a couple TBL of powdered sugar. Really delicous!
I made pumpkin spice cake, filled with the cream and iced with vanilla Bettercreme.
For the White Chocolate Mocha's I would just make a white chocolate cake and then fill with the coffee whipped cream. It's really hard to get the flavor of white chocolate to come out in a cake, I think. Maybe ice with a white chocolate Bettercreme. I use white chocolate Torani's syrup too for flavor.

I think KJ62798's 3rd version will be perfect. I like the idea of swirling the coffee flavored batter through it too!

OOOH LOVE this idea! I think I may try it. I went to the store last night and had no luck getting White chocolate pudding. But it never occurred to me to use coffee creamer. All good ideas.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:08am
post #16 of 17

I have a recipe for a White Chocolate Macadamia Cake with Raspberries and White Chocolate Buttercream.

Of course the raspberries are in a jam in a filling that you could omit and maybe replace it with mocha filling, or something like that.

I just found the recipe in Fine Cooking. They don't give them to you for free most of the time, but this one is.

Follow this link:
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/white-chocolate-macadamia-cake-raspberries-white-chocolate-buttercream.aspx#reviews

Then read the Cake Fancy link they have there to for more info.

It's delicious. The magazine is usually very good at giving you step-by-step instructions. If you can't get it from there, PM me and I'll send you a PDF.

KJ62798 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:42pm
post #17 of 17

Today's experiment--White Chocolate Mocha Swirl.

Before I started the cake batter, I dissolved about 3tbls of espresso powder in hot water, not sure how much--just drizzled it in until I had a strong coffee paste.

I used essentially the same doctored mix recipe as yesterday for the plain white chocolate but bumped the Torani SF syrup up to 1/4c and the milk at 1/2c (3/4c liquid total)

Once the white batter was mixed, I pulled out 1c to mix with the espresso paste. It was too much--I probably only needed about 1/2 to 3/4c for the mocha swirl.

Filled pans w/white batter, swirled in the mocha. Baked as usual. I did 2 6in rounds, 5 cupcakes and still had mocha batter left which ended up on its own in a 4in round.

VERY yummy and pretty too--a lovely cream & tan swirl. Moist w/a nice balance of the coffee flavor. Still not convinced that white chocolate has a taste of its own.

Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%